Position Title: Admissions Counselor
Reports to: Director of Admissions
Opens: Immediate Closes: When filled
Salary: Depending on Experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The admissions counselor at Saybrook University has responsibility for achievement of specific enrollment objectives for new students in various academic programs through recruitment, admission and enrollment activities. The admissions counselor will also serve as the back up to the Director of Admissions and supervise the student worker employees.
Saybrook University is a graduate level institution committed to a mission of access, enrolling students who can succeed academically in its programs. Graduate admissions counselors play a significant role in achievement of the University's enrollment objectives for new graduate students.
The admissions counselor works with the Director of Admissions and other admissions counselors, and academic program directors to plan, implement, and analyze recruitment and enrollment plans and strategies in support of achievement of enrollment objectives and goals. The admissions counselor will cultivate prospective graduate students through individualized communications, recruitment events, presentations, individual campus interviews, chats, social media interaction, and other media. The position coordinates recruitment activities directed to graduate prospects and applicants. The admissions counselor coordinates the conversion of prospective students to enrolled students working with academic program directors, and personnel in the areas of financial aid, business affairs, cashiers, registration and student affairs.
· Function as a backup to the Director of Admissions in the event that the Director is out of the office. This includes supervising staff and signing admissions letters to prospective students in the Director's absence.
· Manage the student worker calling initiative, which includes supervising and training student workers across all schools of the University in their work for admissions.
· This position will focus on working with prospects and constituencies for graduate programs a specified group of programs, specializations or majors.
· Achieve enrollment goals and objectives for new graduate students and support achievement of the University's annual enrollment goals for all programs, specializations and majors.
· Work with the Director of Admissions, graduate program directors, advisors, and other staff to ensure that enrollment goals and strategies for each program are developed and implemented. Track progress towards enrollment goals and undertake activities that support the achievement of those goals.
· Work with others, as assigned, to implement marketing and communication strategies and initiatives for graduate enrollment.
· Support marketing, communication and enrollment strategies through coordination of initiatives with the program directors
· Work with others, as assigned, to draft, edit, and update communications media for prospects, applicants and admitted students.
· Build a relationship between prospective students and the University in support of enrollment as a foundation for student success at Saybrook.
· Initiate and maintain communication with prospective students, applicants, and students admitted as graduate students to the University.
· Conduct on-campus recruitment of graduate students through admission interviews, campus visits & tours, open houses, information sessions, etc.
· Maintain student appointment schedule for prospective students and applicants (scheduled and walk-ins) as needed.
· Review applications for admission and monitor the admission profiles of incoming graduate students; facilitate communication between program directors and prospective students regarding admission policies and procedures; resolve exceptional applicant problems.
· Work with the Information Technology and Institutional Research Departments to ensure the efficient and effective use of the database; any customer relations management (CRM) technology that becomes available, and effectively utilize reporting tools for enrollment and marketing;
· Monitor and provide suggestions for improving and facilitating work flow for graduate admission recruitment operations in general;· Generate standard and ad hoc statistical reports and data exports;
· Night and Weekend work occasionally necessary.
· Ability to travel is required.
· Work hours may be variable.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
· Bachelor's degree required, master's degree preferred.
· At least three years experience in Higher Education Admissions required. Five year experience preferred.
· Experience with student information systems and online marketing and recruitment for online programs highly desirable.
· Ability to act as a team member in a changing environment and support leadership efforts to promote strategic plans.
· Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated skill in the verbal and written expression of information, ideas, and policies.
· Ability to work autonomously and confidentially; able to make independent decisions, as appropriate; ability to set/attain goals, and initiate and follow through with new projects with minimal direction.
· Must become thoroughly familiar with the programs assigned to recruit within one month of hiring.
· Highly motivated self-starter with ability to contribute to and maintain a high-energy, high-volume office.
· Ability to work with diverse populations.
· A proactive customer service orientation.
· Valid driver's license and willingness to travel.
Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds, move furniture and be able to physically set up rooms for meetings
Must be able to work in a standard office setting with moderate noise from computers, copiers, printers, and light traffic with some interruption
Work will be conducted from the Saybrook Campus in Oakland, CA, although travel may be required.
37.5 hour work week with overtime as required. Employer paid medical/dental/vision benefits, 403(b) retirement savings program plus other benefits.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.