- Areas of Study
- Catch up on our blogs
- Make a gift
- Academic Program Quick Links
- Organizational Leadership & Transformation
- MA/PhD Organizational Systems
- MA Leadership & Organization Development, Seattle (LIOS) Residential
- MA/PhD Leadership of Sustainable Systems
- Mind-Body Medicine
- MS Mind-Body Medicine
- PhD Healthcare Research
- PhD Healthcare Practice
- PhD Healthcare Systems
- PhD Integrative Mental Health
- Clinical Psychology
- MA Counseling (LIC), Seattle (LIOS) Residential
- MA/MFT/PCC Clinical Psychology (LIC)
- PhD Clinical Psychology (LIC)
- Psychology & Interdisciplinary Inquiry
- MA/PhD Human Science
- MA/PhD Psychology
- MA/PhD Consciousness, Spirituality & Integrated Health
- MA/PhD Creativity Studies
- MA/PhD Existential, Humanistic & Transpersonal Psych
- MA/PhD Jungian Studies
- MA/PhD Transformative Social Change
- Saybrook Commons Login
Lifelong Sexual Health
Explore the Mystery of Human Sexuality
Explore the mystery of human sexuality with the Lifelong Sexual Health workshop at Saybrook's Seattle campus. Educate yourself about sexual health, the manifestations of sexuality, and the importance of mindful sexuality.
Who Should Take This Workshop?
This workshop is a master's level elective course for students in the Residential MA Program with a specialization in Counseling. Information and resources covered in this workshop partially satisfy Washington state requirements for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (WAC 246-809-121), as well as requirements for clinical membership in the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT Standard Didactic Area II Clinical Knowledge 320.06). The workshop is also available to mental health professionals who wish to expand their knowledge of human sexuality.
What Will You Learn in This Course?
- Explore your own sexual identity including family of origin beliefs/values, experiences, and cultural diversity to help you become a healing presence for others' concerns around sexuality.
- Explore the mystery of human sexuality as a doorway into what it means to be human.
- Explore the erotic as a means to discover and integrate our shadow and to claim the full range of our humanity.
- Develop a sense of what it means to bring mindfulness to sexuality, exploring the question of what mindful sexuality is and why it might be important to you and your clients.
This class will offer theoretical models, group discussion, self-discovery and application in a safe, yet challenging, atmosphere of mutual wisdom and exploration. This course is designed to be a foundational component to begin clinical work with sexual health issues.
Dr. John Thoburn is a licensed psychologist in the state of Washington and an Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology in graduate psychology program at Seattle Pacific University. He teaches courses in individual, couple, and group psychotherapy, family psychology, and human sexuality. His research is in the areas of relational psychology and international psychology.
The next Lifelong Sexual Health Workshop will be held in Seattle from April 5-7, 2013.
Registration will be available in January 2013. To enroll, select the course you wish from the Events list in the right column, or email us for more information.