We Welcome International Students
International Students are welcome to apply to all other Saybrook degree and non-degree programs..
Requirements for International Applicants:
In addition to meeting all general and program-specific admission requirements, all international applicants are also subject to the following requirements:
English Language Requirements
- Official scores from either the TOEFL or IELTS exam are required of all international applicants who indicate on their application that English is not their primary language
- Minimum scores required are:
- 79 iBT TOEFL/550 PBT TOEFL
- 5 IELTS
The English Language Exam requirement may be waived:
- If the applicant has completed a prior degree or at least 60 transfer credits from a college/university in the United States or from a college/university where coursework is taught entirely in English (example: American University of Cairo)
- If the applicant has successfully completed the required level at an ESL institute with which Saybrook has a Memorandum of Understanding
The English Language Exam requirement may be made a contingency of acceptance:
- If the applicant is currently completing a degree in the United States or is currently completing a degree at an international institution where coursework is taught entirely in English. The contingency will be fulfilled upon receipt of a final transcript from the aforementioned institution showing degree earned and date conferred or upon receipt of a passing TOEFL/IELTS score.
- If the applicant is planning to enroll or is currently enrolled at an ESL institute with which Saybrook has a Memorandum of Understanding. The contingency will be fulfilled upon receipt of a final transcript or letter from the aforementioned institution showing the required level was successfully completed or upon receipt of a passing TOEFL/IELTS score.
Transcript Evaluation Requirements
In addition to official academic transcripts from all graduate/undergraduate institutions where a degree was earned, a “course-by-course” transcript evaluation of academic records from the foreign institution is required for consideration for admission. The transcript evaluation must be performed by a NACES-approved transcript evaluation agency.
Transcript evaluations are not required from American universities operating overseas, provided the institution is regionally accredited by a recognized U.S. regional accrediting body (Example: The American University of Cairo).
Typically, International students are not eligible for United States educational loan consideration.
International transcripts created in languages other than English must be submitted as literal translations prior to admission and must be mailed for evaluation to World Education Services (WES).
World Education Services
Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
WES will issue a Basic Statement of Comparability or a course-by-course evaluation. WES should then send these directly to Saybrook’s Admission Office. All other admissions documents must be submitted in English.
Language Proficiency Requirements
All international students who are non-native speakers of English must submit results from a recent TOEFL test or other proof of fulfillment of Saybrook’s English Language Proficiency Requirement. Saybrook’s TOEFL number is 9007.