The Saybrook Forum

New Existentialists

Shattered

06/08/2012
Shattered
It happens so quickly. One minute, your life is going along smooth and easy and the next, you are looking around at the wreckage of what used to be your life. In an instant, your life has radically changed and you're left with a pile of rubble, trying to pick through what's left and salvage the little bit you can. Shattered. The shattering event can be any number of things; an unfaithful spouse, sudden death of a parent, job loss, sick child or an illness. No matter the event, your life as you used to know it is over. Gone. Over. Finished. Shattered. In our society, being shattered is viewed...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Faded Chinese Ballroom

06/07/2012
Faded Chinese Ballroom
I am just returning from the tour that surrounds the International Conference on Existential Psychology in China. We began our visit this year in Shanghai. Most went home from there, with some moving on through other cities. I did some training in Wuhan for pastoral counselors and met up with the rest of the travelers in Shenzhen; we went through Hong Kong together. Our policy is to try to stay in low-rent places, because Western money can be very destructive. In places like Shanghai, local people cannot afford to live, as Dollars and Pounds and Euros inflate the housing market. There is too...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

I Get Fired Up When Donald Trump Says, "You’re Fired"

06/07/2012
I Get Fired Up When Donald Trump Says, "You’re Fired"
OK, I'll admit it: I’m addicted to Donald Trump's The Apprentice. Watching the show on TV a few weeks ago, I was struck by how its premise runs completely counter to the ideals of collective intelligence. Even though we’re watching teams compete, the show isn't about teamwork—it's about 18 individuals trying to take credit and deflect blame as they vie for Trump's recognition at everyone else's expense. Each episode culminates in a tense scene where Trump "fires" one member of the team that lost the most recent challenge. By the way, how can...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Sad Songs

06/06/2012
Sad Songs
If you get depressed when you turn on the radio, it could be the news--or it could be the music. According to new research, pop music has gotten significantly sadder over the last half-century. That’s measured in terms of tempo (it’s gotten slower), key (minor keys have come to predominate), and subject matter (songs are more “self-focused and negative”) … all combining into a serious case of the blues. Indeed, the proportion of songs in a minor key reaching the top of the pop charts has doubled in the past 50 years, reaching almost 60 percent by the second half of the last decade. Could...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

College of MBM Instructor is Passionate about the Power of Nutrition to Transform Health: Introducing Liz Lipski, PhD, CCN, CHN

06/06/2012

Liz Lipski is passionate about the power of nutrition to transform health. Her interest in nutrition began with herbal medicine.  Although she enjoyed teaching about the medicinal value of herbs, including how to make herbal tinctures, it occurred to her that although herbs can be used to restore and maintain health, food and nutrition are the foundation for health.  This realization led her to pursue a PhD in nutrition from the Union Institute.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Why Economic Growth is the Wrong Focus for Africa (Part 2)

06/06/2012
Why Economic Growth is the Wrong Focus for Africa (Part 2)
In my previous post, I noted Martha Nussbaum’s argument that "our dominant theories of development have given us policies that ignore our basic human needs for dignity and self-respect." There was also a high-level insight into her proposition for an "alternative model to assess human development: the capabilities approach," which begins by asking simple questions, such as: What is each person actually able to do and to be? What real opportunities are available to them? I also noted that economic growth alone is not an effective indicator of progress in human...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Relating Existentialism to Dharma to Help Traumatic Stress

06/05/2012
Relating Existentialism to Dharma to Help Traumatic Stress
If we accept an existential perspective, we probably also accept the premise that reality is subjective--that everything we perceive comes through the lenses of our experiences and senses, rather than as some ideal Platonic forms.   In a new essay now available to the New Existentialists' library, Daniel B. Pitchford and Jeannine A. Davies show how existential themes come together with what they call "relational Dharma filters" to help deal with trauma resolution.   According to the authors, "Within the context of Relational Dharma, filters refer to the gradient degrees through the...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Reflective Listening: Rogers’ Paradox

06/04/2012
Reflective Listening: Rogers’ Paradox
There are few psychotherapeutic procedures as deeply misunderstood as reflective listening. Contrary to popular opinion in psychology, reflective listening is more than a parroting back of the client’s speech. Writing of reflective listening late in his career, Carl Rogers claimed that his goal in responding to his clients was not to reflect their feelings, but to ascertain whether his understanding of their subjective experience was correct. He restated clients’ feelings back to them to make sure that he got them right. Although the patient may experience accurate therapist responses as...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

MBM Student Leads Medical Students in Shamanic Quest, and Makes Presentation about the Experience to Society of Scientific Exploration Meeting: Shawn Tassone, MD

06/04/2012
World Institute of Scientific Exploration

Attending professional conferences is a great way to learn new information, strengthen skills in a chosen area, and network with other like-minded individuals.  Presenting original work is an entirely different experience.  Saybrook students are part of a pioneering movement to bring a humanistic experience to health care.  Therefore, presenting their research-based scientific ideas to colleagues is sure to become part of their path in chosen areas of interest.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Design Thinking and Conscious Evolution

06/04/2012
Design Thinking and Conscious Evolution
Systems thinking is a holistic form of understanding, analysis, and problem solving. It's also a way to bring balanced, more impactful solutions to our businesses and social challenges. But what about design thinking? Design thinking involves using design methodologies to address all of our important inquiries. There is an emerging notion of human-centered design brought into our consciouness by IDEO, the design firm in Palo Alto, California. In this form of design, we involve the recepients in the design process focused primarily on their needs. It sounds simple but most conventional...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus