The Saybrook Forum

Mind-Body Medicine

New MBM Instructor teaches mindfulness in psychotherapy and daily life. Meet Donna Rockwell, PsyD

05/07/2012

I take great joy in being a clinical psychologist and mindfulness meditation teacher. There are many links between the capacity to “sit with oneself” as a prerequisite to being able to “sit with another,” something I consider one of the most important elements in psychotherapy, perhaps, even, its essence. "If the therapist can sit with him or herself, and tolerate arising emotion, then," says the client, "maybe I can, too."

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

The Space Around Thoughts

05/07/2012
The Space Around Thoughts
Life. Running here and there. Pre-occupied with this and that. Swept away by one thought or another. We barely have time enough to notice time passing, never mind the preposterous proposition, dare I say, to notice not just our thoughts, but the space around them: a momentary peripheral reverberation, an infinitesimal synaptic break between cognitions, the very slightest of pauses, a hiccup in the assembly line of thought production, when thought-after-thought-after-thought finally cease cascading like dominoes, responsible for the myopic blur that so often stands against our yearning for...

Continue Reading

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

Report published on global freedom of press

05/05/2012

The year 2011 featured precarious but potentially far-reaching gains for media freedom in the Middle East and North Africa. Major steps forward were recorded in Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia, where longtime dictators were removed after successful popular uprisings. While trends in these countries were not uniformly positive, with important setbacks to democratic prospects in both Egypt and Libya toward year’s end, the magnitude of the improvements—especially in Tunisia and Libya—represented major break­throughs in a region that has a long history of media control by autocratic leaders. The gains more than offset declines in several other countries in the Middle East. And even the great­est declines, in Bahrain and Syria, reflected the regimes’ alarmed and violent reac­tions to tena­cious protest move­ments,­ whose bold demands for greater freedom included calls for a more open media environment.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

What Isn't Being Said?

05/04/2012
What Isn't Being Said?
When people get together, a lot of things tend to go unsaid. These "things" typically include thoughts, feelings, perceptions, and assumptions about themselves, about other group members, or about the way the group engages. Organizational consultant Robert J. Marshak put that theory to the test several years ago during a workshop he helped develop at the National Training Laboratories (or NTL) Institute. The workshop was about group dynamics and focused on a simple question: When a group of people gather together, what goes on that they don't talk about? Marshak and fellow NTL...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Learning to Live

05/04/2012
Learning to Live
Dear Reader, I come to you in the form of this article simply because I have found I have no other way to get through to you. It seems that most times when we meet, our encounters are quick, superficial, and you quickly push your awareness of me from your mind. Our relationship wasn't always this way. When you were a child, you couldn't understand me, and so you thought of fun & interesting ways to grasp me. When it became too much, you simply put me out of your mind and went on your way. As a teenager, you recklessly pursued me since you thought you were invincible and that your virility...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

“My Sabbatical Turned into a Life:” Introducing Jerrol Kimmel, Mentor in College of MBM

05/03/2012
Jerrol Kimmel in Haiti, with Global Trauma Relief Program

I used to joke that “my sabbatical turned into a life.” In the mid 90‘s, during a difficult passage in my life, I moved to the east coast on a journey to reclaim myself. I was looking for “my people” and “my work.” Someone told me to connect with the Center for Mind-Body Medicine (CMBM). Little did I know that this chance meeting would completely change the direction of my life.  The Center gave me a language for what I was already doing and a structure that brought out my greatest gifts as a teacher/healer.

Continue Reading

Events

Social Transformation Concentration Conference Call for Prospective Students

05/03/2012

Saybrook University  provides many opportunities for learning about how to become a transformative change agent and social innovator, able to address the pressing social, political and cultural challenges of our times.

Continue Reading

Events

Saybrook University College of Mind-Body Medicine: Join us for the first day of our Residential Conference!

05/03/2012

On Saturday, May 19th from 9:30am – 5:30pm PT, experience what it's like to be a Mind-Body Medicine (MBM) student at Saybrook University. Join MBM students and faculty as we open our doors to prospective students to participate as observers in our Imagery for Health course. 

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumnus Dr. Steven Kull Releases Results of New Public Opinion Study

05/03/2012
Saybrook University Psychology Alumnus and Director of The Program for Public Consultation Dr. Steven Kull releases results of a new study in a public presentation, What Kind of Defense Budget Would the American Public Make? Thursday, May 10, 2012                                        ...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Technology’s Ultimate Purpose: An Altruistic Approach

05/03/2012
Technology’s Ultimate Purpose: An Altruistic Approach
Following my previous blog discussion concerning the sociotechnical nature of today’s society and workplace, Saybrook student Brett Joseph commented, "It is time for us to pause and consider how best to ensure that we protect and nurture our humanity.... I submit that, as we enter this timely dialogue about the implications of living in a cybernetic world, we have an opportunity to attend to some unfinished business: the legacy of the very industrial culture that brought us to our current crossroads of promise and peril." This is a pivotal challenge to accept for technological...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus