The Saybrook Forum

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumnus Dr. Steven Kull Releases Results of New Public Opinion Study

05/03/2012
Saybrook University Psychology Alumnus and Director of The Program for Public Consultation Dr. Steven Kull releases results of a new study in a public presentation, What Kind of Defense Budget Would the American Public Make? Thursday, May 10, 2012                                        ...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Technology’s Ultimate Purpose: An Altruistic Approach

05/03/2012
Technology’s Ultimate Purpose: An Altruistic Approach
Following my previous blog discussion concerning the sociotechnical nature of today’s society and workplace, Saybrook student Brett Joseph commented, "It is time for us to pause and consider how best to ensure that we protect and nurture our humanity.... I submit that, as we enter this timely dialogue about the implications of living in a cybernetic world, we have an opportunity to attend to some unfinished business: the legacy of the very industrial culture that brought us to our current crossroads of promise and peril." This is a pivotal challenge to accept for technological...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

The Search for a Unifying Vision to Save Our Lost Culture

05/03/2012
The Search for a Unifying Vision to Save Our Lost Culture
Yesterday I was speaking with a colleague at the college where I teach, a sociology instructor, who asked me this question: “Why doesn’t our society teach people how to be happy?” Implicit within this question, which became more explicit in our brief conversation, was a shared concern regarding our cultural values, focusing particularly on the ingrained conditioning toward consumerism that defines American society much more than valuing the quality of our lives. After reflecting on this throughout the rest of the day, it occurred to me that the real issue lies much deeper than the answer “...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Human Science Alumna Dr. K. Kevyne Baar Awarded New York University Outstanding Teaching Award

05/02/2012
Saybrook University and the Saybrook Alumni Association are pleased to announce that Saybrook Human Science Alumna Dr. K. Kevyne Baar was awarded the New York University College of Arts and Science (CAS) Outstanding Teaching Award. The Dean wrote, "I am delighted to be able to congratulate you on winning [this award] in recognition of your excellence in undergraduate teaching." Each...

Continue Reading

Events

Mind-Body Medicine Afternoon and Evening, May and June Conference Calls for Prospective Students

05/02/2012

Join Saybrook faculty to discuss Mind-Body Medicine (MBM) program opportunities. Developed in conjunction with Dr. James Gordon, Director of the Center for Mind-Body Medicine and Dean of Saybrook’s Graduate College of Mind-Body Medicine, Saybrook offers the only fully accredited MS and PhD MBM degrees in the US.

Continue Reading

Events

Jungian Studies Conference Call for Prospective Students

05/02/2012

Dr. Alan Vaughan, Director of Saybrook’s Jungian Studies program and a Jungian analyst, will lead discussion on the impact the insights of Carl Jung are having in the 21st century, and how we can best explore, utilize, and advance them. Join Dr. Vaughan to learn more about Jungian Studies and discuss program options.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Reflecting on Boundaries: Who is Teaching and Who is Learning?

05/02/2012
Reflecting on Boundaries: Who is Teaching and Who is Learning?
As a systems thinker and practitioner, the question of boundaries has always fascinated me. Which boundaries are real and which ones are humanly constructed? Which boundaries are helpful and which ones need to expand to include more? Where is the boundary of our socially constructed world and how does it interface with the natural world? Where do I end and you begin? By looking at the boundaries of a system, we can identify some of the challenges and opportunities to transform that system. As a faculty member at Saybrook, I find the practice of "blurring the boundaries" to be...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

The Power to Give and the Power to Receive

05/02/2012
The Power to Give and the Power to Receive
I had this experience a couple years ago that has been haunting me off and on ever since. When guys go “over there,” they know what they are signing up for. They don’t think they are coming back. Their delusion, if they have one, is that their death will have some kind of meaning: they will die honorably, in the line, pulling their brother out of a firefight. More often, their deaths and incapacity are banal. Snipers, roadside bombs, and friendly fire, never seeing the enemy, with no chance to respond. So I’m in the 7-11 getting a cup of coffee. There’s this guy, he’s a walking horror. He has...

Continue Reading

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

Psychologists for Social Responsibility: Reduce poverty & inequality through budget priorities

05/01/2012

Saybrook faculty and students involved with the Psychologists for Social Responsibility (PsySR) support the organization's dedication to social transformation. A new statement was released April 25, 2012: The PsySR Statement on Budget Priorities, Poverty, and Inequality.

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Put On Your Sunday Clothes When You Feel Down And Out

05/01/2012
Put On Your Sunday Clothes When You Feel Down And Out
We’ve all heard the saying that “Clothes make the man” (or woman). Now, a new study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology and then reported in The New York Times is adding credence to that phrase—in an embodied way. The process, which the researchers Adam and Galinsky (2012) term “enclothed cognition,” was described as follows in The New York Times: “If you wear a white coat that you believe belongs to a doctor, your ability to pay attention increases sharply. But if you wear the same white coat believing it belongs to a painter, you will show no such improvement” (...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus