The Saybrook Forum

Alumni Messenger

Information from the Peace and Justice Studies Association (PJSA) on Available Trainings in Non-Violence

11/11/2011
Here are a few groups that have done lots of training in nonviolence and could share a range of useful materials: American Friends Service Committee offers training for a wide range of nonviolent campaigns and to help people considering participation in an act of CD. Here's a link: www.afsc.org/resource/nonviolent-direct-action-civil-disobedience http://www.afsc.org/resource/nonviolent-direct-...

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Resources for training in nonviolence and civil resistance

11/11/2011

With the many Occupy movements currently underway worldwide, there is an increased need for preparation and training in nonviolent protest. Many resources have been offered on the Peace and Justice Studies Association listserv, including the following.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Eric Kreuter, Ph.D.'06 Presented Case Study on Victimization in Chongqing, China in October

11/10/2011
Alumnus Eric Kreuter, Ph.D.'06 presented a case study on victimization in Chongqing, China in October at the 2nd Annual World Forensic Congress. Eric also has an upcoming book, to be released Dec 2011: Victimization Analyzed Through the Voices of a Predator: Expansion of a Single Case Study, Nova Science Publishers.

Continue Reading

Debating human rights in the IT industry

11/10/2011

By Jillian York, 10/31/2011, in Movements.org

@mx_500(This article is cross posted from Al Jazeera English)

Last week in San Francisco, a unique gathering occurred. Dubbed "Rightscon" (Silicon Valley Human Rights Conference), the conference attracted Silicon Valley executives, activists, academics and NGOs, all gathered in one room to debate the role of human rights within the tech industry, as well as the role of the tech industry in serving human rights interests. 

Incidents from the past year - from the denial of service to WikiLeaks by Amazon, PayPal and others to the complicity of international companies in Egypt’s telecommunications shutdown - have put the subject of human rights at the forefront of discussion within the technology industry. While companies debate their responsibilities to serve activists, whose particular circumstances may be seen as "edge cases", NGOs often frame their advocacy within the same rubric.

Egyptian activist Alaa Abd El Fattah, who is currently under threat of military prosecution, argued that the framing is wrong, stating that both parties should think more about ordinary users. Referring specifically to the controversysurrounding identity on social networks, Facebook and Google+, he said:

"When ordinary users can’t choose a pseudonym, their identity is negated. Women know the importance of negotiating identity, they do it all the time. So do gays, religious minorities, whatever. We choose how to reveal who I am, on what terms and in what basis. When you restrict me from doing this, you violate my human rights… It is about who I am, my identity, how I express myself and how I communicate with the world."

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumna Deirdre Bundy, M.A. '09 Releases New Playball Newsletter

11/10/2011
Click here to see the new Playball Newsletter about a sports skills and movement program for kids age 2 to 6 created by Alumna Deirdre Bundy, M.A. '09.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Steven Kull, PhD '80 Releases New Edition of World Public Opinion.org

11/10/2011
See new release of World Public Opinion November 10, 2011 by Alumnus Steven Kull, Ph.D.'80.

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Beth Haggett, PhD candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

11/09/2011

Beth HaggettOver 30 years ago as a 19 year old girl I told my husband that someday I wanted to get a PhD in Psychoneuroimmunology. When I heard Saybrook was starting a program in Mind-Body Medicine I was the first to apply. I am a Doctoral student in the Mind-Body Medicine PhD-Health Systems Track. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of Utah specializing in work with individuals, adolescents, and couples, using a variety of methodologies.

My tagline is “FEEL GREAT-LOVE LIFE” which is what I strive for in my own life and what I help my clients to accomplish.

I received my Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work from Walla Walla College in 1996. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.  I have a private practice from which I have done Coaching, Counseling and Consulting, to corporations since 1999.  I have the advanced postgraduate “Master Personal and Executive Coach” certification through the College of Executive Coaching.  I have advanced training in EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, Addictions, Crisis Intervention, Family Systems, Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, and Personal and Executive Coaching and Mind-Body Medicine. 

I have worked as a consultant, trainer, facilitator and coach for corporations such as:  Hitachi, Oracle, VeriSign, Agile, Amdahl, RIM, and many others.  I develop curriculum and provide assessments and training for groups of Coaches and high level Executives. I have worked successfully with multi-national corporations, helping to create optimal corporate cultures and facilitate relationships between global teams. 

I have recently relocated to Midway, Utah where I enjoy hiking, riding my beautiful Azteca horse and spending time with my adult children and many friends. 

I use my Mind-Body Medicine training both with my therapy clients as well as in my corporate training. I also have many varied and interesting experiences outside of work in which I am able to utilize my training and education in Mind-Body Medicine. I find that I have a whole box full of skills and tools that I can pull out as needed. Mostly I find that I have gained a confidence and knowledge that allows me to jump in when needed and helps others sense they can trust and count on me.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Part Time Faculty Postition Open in Saybrook University's College of Mind-Body Medicine

11/08/2011
MBM Part Time Faculty Position: Teaching Coaching for Health and Wellness The College of Mind-Body Medicine is looking for a certified Health and Wellness Coach, with graduate level teaching experience to teach basic and advanced coaching for health and wellness skills. This individual must have some familiarity with online learning environments and a desire to facilitate both academic...

Continue Reading

Resources

11/06/2011

This section of the PHS Forum is dedicated to sharing resources that students, faculty, and the larger Saybrook Community might find helpful. Look here for links to web services, journals, resource databases, conference materials, and other valuable ways of networking with like-minded colleagues.

Continue Reading

University

The view from Occupy Oakland

11/04/2011

(The following description of Occupy Oakland, just prior to the police action of Oct. 25, is provided by Psychology PhD student Makenna Berry, a regular contributor to Saybrook's psychology blog The New Existentialists)

Occupy oaklandHistory?

More like our story. It has become the story of 100’s swelling to include 1000’s who have come together in downtown Oakland. I speaking about the families, elders, youth, workers, teachers, nurses…everyone that I could imagine that lives in Oakland and from our surrounding cities who have come to speak, witness and participate in what has been called the most significant social movement seen in years.

No. This is not just a band of disenchanted students camping out in a public park. It’s so much more and I believe that we must either participate or at minimum take note.

The challenge is describing what Occupy is, because frankly, Occupy on a national scale is the people who are there. One can’t really know the people unless you are there with us.

But I can try.

It has been a week since Occupy Oakland hit the international news. The morning the first tent city was dismantled the Occupy Oakland movement was seen by many as not being much. It was viewed cautiously as a movement with no leader, no agenda and by some on the outside, with no point.

I had been watching and listening to the community beat. I felt that there was much more here than folks were realizing. The next day at 4pm I joined 100’s of others at the steps of the Oakland Public Library. The People’s Mic was on.

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus