The Saybrook Forum

University

Is Carl Jung having an American Renaissance?

08/02/2011

220px-Hall_Freud_Jung_in_front_of_Clark_1909 That's the question asked by Saybrook Psychology Professor Eugene Taylor, who has recently been asked to review two books about Jung's work for the APA's website.  

A recent upswing in positive reviews of Jung's work, new analysis about Jung's insights, and popular acclaim, Taylor suggests, are signs that even academic psychology - long dominated by "experimentalists" who didn't believe anything they couldn't measure under laboratory conditions - is accepting the value of depth psychology's approach to the human mind.

Read More 

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Carrie Phelps, PhD Candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

08/01/2011

Carrie Phelps Carrie Phelps has over 30 years experience in the health and wellness field.  

Formally trained in the Institute for Healthcare Improvement Methodology, Carrie served as a consultant and project manager for Activate America, a national YMCA organizational wellness initiative.  Recently she served as the Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives for the YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region where she initiated and mobilized sustainable organizational learning environments, strategic thinking and action, and program design for high impact.  

In 2001, she helped develop and implement the Institute for the Healing Arts in Nashville Tennessee. Working with an integrated team of healthcare professionals, Carrie served as the Director of Integrative Medicine, and established a comprehensive approach to total health.  As a faculty member of the Center for Mind-Body Medicine based in Washington D.C., Carrie trains clients and healthcare professionals in scientifically-proven mind-body approaches.  She has conducted hundreds of wellness presentations, workshops, intensives, and certification courses to medical staff, high-level executives, and the general public.  She is a certified life coach, one-on-one HeartMath provider, and Nia instructor.  Carrie received her Masters degree in Exercise Science from Denver University.  

Currently, Carrie is the Health and Well-Being Technical Advisor for YMCA of the USA and a doctoral student at Saybrook University where she is studying mind-body medicine with a concentration in healthcare systems.  

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Steven Kull, PhD '80 Releases New Edition of WorldPublicOpinion.org

08/01/2011
To see the August 1 edition of WorldPublicOpinion.org click here: http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/

Continue Reading

University

Our youth obsessed culture is about to get a shock

07/27/2011

The first wave of Baby Boomers are retiring, and by some estimates one-in-five Americans will be over 65 by 2030. 

How does a culture obsessed with youth cope? 

So far, most of our fixes have been technological - and amazing new gadgets to help the elderly function are in the works.

But even the researchers behind these new inventions admit it:  our society can't handle this "silver tsumani" without fundamentally changing they way it handles the elderly. 

An essay at The New Existentialists suggests that psychology should be playing a key role in this transition.  That instead of just trying to "fix" symptoms, psychologists have a vital role to play in providing healthy perspective to people about the a life that includes old age. 

Read more

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Tamami Shirai, MS candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

07/26/2011

Tamami Shirai I am originally from Tokyo, Japan. I have about twenty years of experience in human resources with global corporations, as well as experience as a career counselor in Japan.

I was originally interested in clinical psychology when I was in the college, but the way it was taught and practiced did not feel like the best approach to me. I thought there might be another way, so I changed my course to social psychology with statistical research.

Because my husband is American, we moved to the US at the end of 2007 and settled in California. I decided to come back to graduate school after I was injured in 2008 and had to leave my job for rehabilitation. I could not stand and walk for many hours, nor could I sit in a chair for very long.  During the treatment of my injury, I had a chance to learn about biofeedback and guided imagery at one of the integrative clinics in La Jolla, CA. Although Western medicine helped me a lot, I was fascinated with these noninvasive approaches that connect with mind and body.

I researched several schools where I could learn about biofeedback; however, I chose Saybrook because the program covers all health fields rather than limiting the course of study to a psychological perspective.  I especially wanted to learn from Dr. James Gordon, the Dean of the Mind-Body Medicine program.

Continue Reading

University

Why is the NFL better at compromising than congress?

07/26/2011

800px-Shake_hand This week the NFL announced it had reached an agreement with its players. 

Republicans and Democrats?  Not so much. 

In his recent book, On Compromise and Rotten Compromises, Avishai Margolit, professor emeritus of philosophy at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, refers to compromise as “an ambivalent concept.” On the one hand, we laud those who can preserve friendship or peace through cooperation. On the other hand, we revile those who too readily accede to intransigence. Compromise can be pragmatic and strategic, consider the resolution of the Cuban missile crisis; compromise can be cowardly and weak, consider much of the historic judgment against policies of appeasement during the rise of Nazi Germany. In an environment where words are chosen carefully to frame a perception in order to influence another’s thinking, how we conceptualize compromise matters.

Read more about compromise and America at Rethinking Complexity

Continue Reading

University

Why are we all less happy?

07/25/2011

In 2009 a major study showed that women were increasingly unhappy in the modern world – and a host of pundits, psychologists, and sociologists asked “What’s happened to the fairer sex?” 

Was it feminism that was making women less happy?  Economic inequality?  Higher expectations?  Loneliness?  Feminism?  (That one came up a lot.  Apparently people like to blame things on feminism).

Two years later, another data set has been analyzed, and it turns out that the reason more women are unhappy has nothing to do with women.  According to the data, we’re ALL less satisfied with life than we were 25 years ago.

Why?  What does it mean?  At the New Existentialists, they have a pretty good idea:  it means we've been trying to become happy by proxy, substituting medication and commercialization for an inner life.  Turns out that doesn't work. 

Read more.

Continue Reading

Events

Catch Saybrook at this year's APA in Washington D.C.

07/22/2011

Saybrook University is always well represented at the American Psychological Association, with faculty, alumni, and students making presentations, leading panels, and holding debates.

This year they’ll be presenting on everything from using expressive arts in the workplace to hypnosis and cyberspace.

Saybrook’s annual APA convention dinner, sponsored by Dr. Stanley Krippner and the Saybrook Alumni Association, will be held on Friday, August 5, from 6 - 9 p.m., at Clyde’s of Gallery Place (707 7th Street, NW, Washington, D.C.).

RSVP REQUIRED

To RSVP, or for more information, email Saybrook Alumni Director George Aiken, or call:  415-394-5968

A list of Saybrook faculty, student, and alumni presentations at this year’s APA (Aug 4-7) is below:

Continue Reading

University

Catch Saybrook at this year's APA in Washington D.C.

07/22/2011

Saybrook University is always well represented at the American Psychological Association, with faculty, alumni, and students making presentations, leading panels, and holding debates.

This year they’ll be presenting on everything from using expressive arts in the workplace to the medical uses of hypnosis and the culture of cyberspace.

Saybrook’s annual APA convention dinner, sponsored by Dr. Stanley Krippner and the Saybrook Alumni Association, will be held on Friday, August 5, from 6 - 9 p.m., at Clyde’s of Gallery Place (707 7th Street, NW, Washington, D.C.).

RSVP REQUIRED

To RSVP, or for more information, email Saybrook Alumni Director George Aiken, or call:  415-394-5968

A list of Saybrook faculty, student, and alumni presentations at this year’s APA (Aug 4-7) is below:

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Catch Saybrook at the APA in Washington D.C.

07/22/2011

This year they’ll be presenting on everything from using expressive arts in the workplace to hypnosis and cyberspace.

RSVP REQUIRED

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus