The Saybrook Forum

University

Catch "Connected's" premiere - and discuss what it means to be human in a digital age

09/11/2011

During Saybrook’s Fall 2011 Residential Conference, we were thrilled to be able to offer interested students a sneak peak at Tiffany Shlain’s upcoming documentary “Connected” – an examination of human life in a digital age.

Student feedback was overwhelmingly positive – and now “Connected” is making its public debut for Bay Area audiences this Friday.

“Connected” is a film that speaks to one of the central questions that Saybrook addresses every day:  what does it mean to be human in the 21st century?  Shlain – who is a founder of both the Webby awards and The National Day of Unplugging – asks how we have changed the way we relate to the technology we use every day, and how that technology has changed us. 

Shlain’s love/hate relationship with technology serves as the springboard for a thrilling exploration of modern life…and our interconnected future. Equal parts documentary and memoir, the film unfolds during a year in which technology and science literally become a matter of life and death for the director. As Shlain’s father battles brain cancer and she confronts a high-risk pregnancy, her very understanding of connection is challenged at every turn. Using a brilliant mix of animation, archival footage, and home movies, Shlain reveals the surprising ties that link us not only to the people we love but also to the world at large. A personal film with universal relevance, Connected explores how, after centuries of declaring our independence, it may be time for us to declare our interdependence instead.

Connected will be premiering at San Francisco’s Landmark Embarcadero Theater on Friday, Sept. 16, at 7:20 – and Tiffany Shlain will be available to answer questions after the show.

Shlain will also be attending screenings in Mill Valley at the Sequoia Theater (Saturday, 9/17, 7 p.m. show), and The Berkeley Shattuck 10 Theater (Sunday, 9/18, afternoon show)

For more information visit http://connectedthefilm.com

Continue Reading

Events

Curious about Saybrook? Come to our next Open House!

08/26/2011

Dear Interested Student:

We are excited to announce our next Open House for Prospective Students taking place on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 from 5:45pm - 8:30pm (PST).

Join us to learn more about our programs and have discussions (on site and on-line participants can participate in discussion via conference call) with our faculty members.

Saybrook is a unique university of student-engaged learning in a rigorous course of study. Our mission is to provide graduate education that evokes and guides transformational change in individuals, organizations, and communities toward a just, humane, and sustainable world. Our renowned faculty, alumni, and students are thought leaders in their fields.

Begin your graduate study at Saybrook and pursue your passion at the world's premier institution for humanistic studies. Join us in person or by webcast to learn more about our multidisciplinary graduate university.

Saybrook University is a regionally accredited, nonprofit, distance learning graduate institution. Grounded in the humanistic tradition, Saybrook offers master's and doctoral degree programs in Human Science, Mind-Body Medicine, Organizational Systems, and Psychology.

Scholarships and Financial Aid are available. Applications are currently being accepted for Spring and Fall 2012.

RSVP here.

We look forward to meeting you!

Saybrook Admissions

Continue Reading

Events

Be an Observor at Saybrook's Residential Conference. RSVP here!

08/26/2011

Dear Prospective Student:

Every year our students and faculty come together at our Residential Conferences to explore and study ideas in their fields of interest. Our Residential Conferences are an important part of the Saybrook learning experience. They nurture intellectual creativity, enrich the educational environment, and foster faculty and peer mentoring.

You are invited to observe select morning sessions during our August 2011 residential event (available session topics will be available soon.) 

Last year, our students had the opportunity to choose among topics that included East/West Psychotherapy, Existential Humanistic Psychology, Dreams and Altered States, Personal Mythology, Health and Stress, Ethics and Social Responsibility, Theories of Human Science, and more. The topics planned for our 2011 RC are sure to be just as stimulating.

You will also have the opportunity to meet our faculty and students, talk with Admissions representatives, and sample our learning model.  Please RSVP here.

Date and Time

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:15am - 12:00pm
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:15am - 12:00pm
Check-in: 8:45 am

Westin Hotel – SFO
1 Old Bayshore Highway Millbrae, CA 94030
Directions
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Saybrook Admissions

Continue Reading

University

Tell us your RC experience!

08/26/2011

Logo-saybrook-seal This week hundreds of Saybrook students, many new, will be coming to San Francisco for the fall Residential Conference – connecting with faculty, attending intensive workshops, and going to classes.

The connections that get made, the community that is formed, and the experiences they have are life changing.  Here are a few we’ve been told about:

"Saybrook rattled me to a core," said psychology alumna Monica Dixon, "and I loved every minute of it. It was the very thing I was seeking ---- a different way of operating. I began to question everything, and that has never stopped. I'm just asking bigger questions now."

"I'm always so impressed by the things that people are doing," says psychology and social transformation student Gianina Pellegrini. "At other schools people have jobs that are just getting them by, and then I go to Saybrook conferences, and I sit with other students who are on peace committees around the world and have done all this amazing work in different countries, and I'm so impressed, and I'm really motivated: I always think, this is what it's all about."

"Saybrook was the first time that I could really pursue anything that I was really passionate about pursuing,” said Human Science student Nick Rorbers. “I look at the Residential Conferences like they're a vacation."

Now, what’s your experience?  Use the comments section below to tell us about your fall 2011 Residential Conference experience.  Good, bad, or just plain interesting, we want to know. 

Leave a note below!

Continue Reading

University

"To thine own self be true" is a creative manifesto

08/26/2011

The courage to create What does it mean to be authentic?  What standard do you go by?  What external standard can there possibly be, if authenticity is being true to the inner self?  How do you know?

Christina Roberts has some answers.  Her Saybrook dissertation was a study of creative older individuals, and she found a clear link between their creative work and their sense of having lived an authentic life. 

It may be, she suggests, that living authentically is itself a creative act.

She writes about her finding at The New Existentialists.  It's a must read.

Continue Reading

University

Organizations repeat themselves (over and over)

08/25/2011

Ever notice that your workplace has patterns?

Of course you have - every organization does.  In fact, understanding the "systems archetypes" of an organization -- common and usually reoccurring patterns of behavior -- can be a key to curing organizational dysfunction.

Each archetype has its own distinct storyline, and being able to change that storyline is a key leadership skill.

At the Rethinking Complexity blog, Saybrook Organizational Systems PhD student Jorge Taborga has gone over the research involving systems archetypes, listing some common types and explaining how to manage them -- even plan for them.

It's worth taking a look.

Continue Reading

University

Fear doesn't build character in kids

08/25/2011

Yakunchikova_Fear To say that trying to get kids to do the right thing by scaring them is "common place" is like saying Christmas is a holiday.  In fact, it's EVERYWHERE. 

We try to scare kids about the dangers of drugs, about the dangers of gangs, about what will happen if htey don't get an education, about what could happen if they talk to strangers, about drinking, about driving, about drinking and driving ... you'd almost think we enjoy scaring kids, we do it so much.

But it's effective, right?

At The New Existentialists, Saybrook psychology student Makenna Berry has gone over some of the evidence -- and it turns out that "scared straight" style interventions do little to no short-term good and negative long term impacts.

Uh oh.

Fortunately, there are better approaches we can take to help children navigate a world full of pitfalls.

Read about it here

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Avn Sturm, PhD Candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

08/11/2011

Avn Sturm I am presently living in Coconut Grove, Florida with my husband Kurt and two Black and White American short-haired cats named Oscar and Felix. Coconut Grove is a village in Miami that was settled by Bahamians and white settlers in the 1800s and became an artist colony in the 1940s – 1960s. My background is in Theater in performance, directing and writing. I have worked with my husband in professional film and video production and studio design, as well as computer software engineering. I went back to school and received both a Masters in Business Administration and a Masters in Public Administration with a specialization in Homeland Security Policy and Coordination (emphasizing emergency preparedness). For my MPA thesis, I focused on how the community is the actual first-responders. I found a resonance with working with people first as a director, then in organizational behavior in business school and finally in the importance of the community around us.    

Saybrook first caught my eye in 2003 and I have keenly watched its development. After I graduated with my MPA in 2008, I decided to apply to Saybrook. To me, Saybrook was where I wanted to attain the jewel of my academic crown, a PhD. It is important to be a part of an institution that is comprised of such stellar human beings, which is the essence of humanistic psychology and life. At the first residential conference (RC), I had a chance to be amongst strangers and landed running. I say this because it is this exhilaration that I still get many RCs later. I especially like the structure of the RC because it establishes a foundation on which all learning is based at Saybook. In fact, it was at a Summer RC that I first learned Kundalini yoga and have continued my practice of it along with my husband. We are looking forward to becoming certified Kundalini instructors, so RCs can be both illuminating and motivational in encouraging one to continue practices learned at a RC.

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Ruthi Solari, MS Candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

08/09/2011

Ruthi Solari My name is Ruthi Solari and I am a Certified Holistic Nutritionist (CN). I am a part of the Fall 2010 Masters cohort at Saybrook University's College of Mind Body Medicine.

One of my favorite aspects of Saybrook's MBM program is the close affiliation with the Center for Mind Body Medicine (CMBM). The CMBM conferences were what initially inspired me to enroll at Saybrook for a more intensive learning experience in the field of Mind Body Medicine.

It was also after I attended a CMBM conference called Food as Medicine (FAM) that I was inspired to start a non-profit that is now my full-time job. The non-profit, SuperFood Drive, was founded in early 2009 to help get healthier foods into food banks to ensure that all people have access to nutritious meals.  Since its inception, SuperFood Drive has been tremendously successful in leading the movement towards nutrition banking instead of just (processed) food banking. We started by focusing on educating the general public about why it is important to donate nutritious non-perishables during food drives (for example, black beans instead of refried in lard, fruit canned in its own juice instead of syrup, and whole grain pasta instead of mac n cheese).  We are now working collaboratively with Feeding America and other national organizations, including government programs, to create a holistic implementation model that can be used to turn all food banks across the country into nutrition banks.

Continue Reading

University

Why do we medicate first and ask questions later?

08/09/2011

Schizophrenia_PET_scan It's a common assumption among medical professionals that biochemical conditions must involve biochemical treatments -- you need to pop a pill for your depression and take medication for your blood pressure.

But that doesn't necesarilly follow.  High blood pressure is often best treated by diet and exercise, and depression -- even assuming it is a biochemical condition -- is frequently better addressed by talking with a therapist and changing your life. 

Writing at The New Existentialists, Sarah Kass notes that a recent study has shown that practicing yoga "helps to calm the schizophrenic mind." 

And why wouldn't it?  While the benefits of yoga have only been acknowledged by western medicine relatively recently, it has thousands of years of history behind it as an aid to meditation and a way to help unify mind and body.  The notion that this is inferior to a pill because ... because ... wait, why exactly?  Oh right, because it isn't "medicine."  Well, that's a notion that doesn't make any sense. 

Healthy approached that take the whole person into account should be medicine of first resort, not last - especially since practicing them is still a good idea when you're already healthy.  Unlike medication, the "side effects" of yoga are all positive if you do it right.  It can even serve as preventative medicine - the best kind.

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus