The Saybrook Forum

University

Can America come to terms with the post-911 reality it created?

05/04/2011

Flag_-_3rd_Infantry Emotions have run high since United States president Barack Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden.

“The head of the snake is gone,” said Rudi Dekkers, the owner of the flight school that trained the two terrorist pilots responsible for killing thousands in the World Trade Center towers.

Bin Laden’s death marks a turning point of nearly a decade of grief, anger, and insecurity for all effected by the tragedies of 9-11. The tragic events of that day will forever be present as a reminder and a threat of the destructive capacities of terrorism.

But always remembering must not mean we stay locked in the past:  Amidst great pain and fear, issues of remorse, forgiveness, and rehumanization are beginning to surface in light of the gross human rights violations that followed September 11, 2001.

In the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, author Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela draws on experiences from the South African apartheid to remind us what remorse, forgiveness and rehumanization look like in the aftermath of gross human rights violations.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook at the APA Convention, Aug 4 - 7, 2011, Washington DC: Symposiums, Poster Sessions, Presentations, Honors

05/03/2011
Saybrook at the APA Convention, Aug 4 - 7, 2011, Washington DC: Symposiums, Poster Sessions, Presentations, Honors This announcememt will be in a lead positon on the Alumni Messenger through August 7th, and will be an ongoing record of all Saybrook Community presentations at the DC APA Convention. Please provide: division information; presentation title; and dates, times, and locations...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Glenn Perry, PhD '92 Releases New Edition of the Astropsychology Newsletter

05/03/2011
Alumnus Glenn Perry, PhD '92 Releases a New Edition of the Astropsychology Newsletter http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs089/1101088043497/archive/1105193700362.html

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Discounted CE (Sometimes Webcast) Credits Available for Saybrook MFTs from UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Center

05/03/2011
From Sophia Vu, UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Center: Our seminars, which we hold several times a year, allow MFT participants to receive CE credits at a discount. Saybrook Alumni can type in the Dicsount Code PROSAY for 20% Off on all seminars. Many of our events are webcast live, which means your alumni can watch it from the comfort of their own homes or offices if they are not in...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Abstracts Invited for the 55th Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences

05/03/2011
Abstracts are invited for the 55th Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences Hull University Business School, Hull, UK July 17-22, 2011 Theme: All together now – working across disciplines: People, principles and practice Important Dates April 30, 2011: The end of early, discounted registration. May 30, 2011: The deadline for full papers. Only ONE...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Bart Billings, PhD '74 Shares Further Information About The International Military & Civilian Combat Stress Conference May 12th-15th in Pasadena, CA

05/03/2011
The International Military & Civilian Combat Stress Conference is the leading conference on combat stress in the world. Taking place May 12th-15th in Pasadena, CA, the multi-disciplinary event brings civilian and military medical and mental health professionals from around the world together to share their clinical expertise. Alumnus Bart P Billings, PhD Conference Founder/Director For...

Continue Reading

University

There are no shortcuts to wisdom

05/03/2011

Platon_Aristote If you were wise, what would it be like?

I don’t mean “what would you know” – I mean “what would the experience of life be like?”  Are wise people different from the rest of us?  How do they live?

That’s the question Pscyhologist Dolores Pushkar set out to answer in a recently published piece:  “What Philosophers Say Compared with What Psychologists Find in Discerning Values: How Wise People Interpret Life”.

Pushkar, Etezadi, and Lyster acknowledge that there is no consensus on what defines wisdom, but they propose the following as being key aspects; knowledge, deep understanding of human nature, life contentment, empathy and the flexibility to see issues from others’ perspectives.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumni Association Visiting Scholar Program

05/02/2011
The Visiting Scholar Program As a service to our graduates, the PHS Alumni Association offers the Visiting Scholar Program in cooperation with Saybrook's Library. Each new PHS graduate receives one free year of access to Saybrook's online library database, enabling them to continue their scholarly research. This access can be renewed on a yearly basis by making a $100 donation to the PHS...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumna Deirdre Bundy Publishes Article in Online Zine Courageous Creativity

05/02/2011
Dear Fellow Saybrook Alumni and Members of the Saybrook Community, I hope you are doing well! I just thought I would share an article I wrote for an online zine called Courageous Creativity. Below is the link; my article is in the April Issue. The online zine, Courageous Creativity, is always looking for contributions from writers, poets, artists, etc., and I thought that Saybrook Alumni and...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Annual APA Convention Dinner - Friday, August 5, 2011

05/02/2011
Saybrook Annual APA Convention Dinner Sponsored by Stan Krippner and the PHS Alumni Association Friday, August 5, 2011 Washington, DC 6:00 - 9:00 PM SAYBROOK WILL PROVIDE APPETIZERS, SALAD, AND DESSERT, ATTENDEES PAY FOR THE ENTREE. Clyde's of Gallery Place 707 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001 Phone: 202.349.3700 A short walk from the Convention Center WE WILL HAVE A MICRSOPHONE...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus