Archives For: December 2009

PRINTMAKING & VISUAL ARTS BASED INQUIRY W/ Arne Collen in Florence, Italy

12/14/2009

Special announcement from Arne Collen:

PRINTMAKING & VISUAL ARTS BASED INQUIRY
MAY 3-18, 2010 in FLORENCE, ITALY
with Ron Pokrasso, David Hoptman, and Arne Collen

SANTA REPARATA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL of ART

It is with great excitement that I am able to send you this special announcement of the forthcoming two week art workshop in Florence, Italy. After having taken this workshop under the apprenticeship of Santa Fe artist and printmaker Ron Pokrasso in 2006 and 2008, as well as artist and professional photographer David Hoptman, I am able to offer an opportunity to my students and colleagues to join us for this workshop in 2010. You will receive personal instruction from Ron in various means of printmaking, David in photoshop that is associated with printmaking, and myself in relating Ron and David’s instruction to methods of visual arts based inquiry. But the content of your two week workshop partly depends on your reasons for taking this workshop and its choices, which I detail after you read below the workshop description provided by Ron Pokrasso.
Teaming up with Ron and David is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me, and I hope you as well, to be part of this workshop. Unfortunately, studio space and number of participants are limited. I expect this popular workshop to fill easily in the first quarter of 2010, as it did in past years. Therefore, if you can plan and budget to become part of it, please do. But read on and if seriously interested, consider acting as early as possible in the new year.
After reading the remainder of this special announcement, if you have a sincere interest, please contact both Ron Pokrasso (pokrasso@shaening.com) to secure your place via a deposit, and myself (acollen@saybrook.edu) to discuss which choice of participation best matches your needs and interests.

For more information, contact Ron Pokrasso, pokrasso@shaening.com or have a look at his website, www.ronpokrasso.com

TUITION
The tuition for the program is $1800. A deposit of $500 should be sent immediately to secure a place. The deposit is fully refundable until January 31, 2010. Full payment is required by March 1, 2010. Checks should be made payable to Ron Pokrasso and sent to 24 Timberwick Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87508. You may also pay with Visa or MasterCard; however a 3% processing fee will be added to all credit card payments. Call 505 984 0827 or email pokrasso@shaening.com .

Continue Reading

Alumnus Greg Bogart, PhD '92 Releases Book on Dreamwork and Self-Healing

12/14/2009

Greg Bogart, Ph.D, MFT, Saybrook class of 1992, has just released a new book, Dreamwork and Self-Healing: Unfolding the Symbols of the Unconscious, published by Karnac Books (London).

This book explores therapeutic dreamwork, archetypal themes and complexes, symbols such as the ouroboros, king, puer, wounded healer, and cross-gender imagery. The author shows that dreamwork is a natural antidepressant, is effective in transforming anger, bereavement, couples conflicts and impasses, and aids the process of individuation. The book explores synchronistic experiences and spiritual awakening in dreams, representations of the body in dreams, and breakthroughs into the light of pure awareness. The final chapter, “Taming Wild Horses,” explores animal dream symbolism and its importance for enhancing our human sexuality. The book also describes the Dream Mandala, a method of self-transformation through the union of opposites—the charged polarities of the personality.

The book is available from www.amazon.com or www.karnacbooks.com.

Here is a link to detailed info:
http://www.karnacbooks.com/Product.asp?PID=26653

In addition to his work as a psychotherapist in the East Bay, Bogart currently teaches at Sonoma State University and in the Integral Counseling Psychology and East-West Psychology programs at the California Institute of Integral Studies. He also serves on the Research Faculty of the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology.

Continue Reading

Saybrook University Website Now Online

12/14/2009

http://www.saybrook.edu

The New Saybrook University Website is Now Online

Click Here: Saybrook University Website

Continue Reading

“What Matters Most…” Perspectives on Life’s Fundamental Questions

12/14/2009

What Matters Most…”
Perspectives on Life’s Fundamental Questions
Thursday, January 14, 2010
7:00 - 9:00 PM

James Hollis, PhD, noted Jungian analyst and author
and
Donald Moss, PhD, psychologist and leading Mind-Body Medicine scholar

How do we live fulfilling lives? What is most important for spiritual, mental, and physical well being? Begin the new year with perspectives on these vital and intriguing questions with:

Jim Hollis, Director of Saybrook University’s Jungian Studies program, will speak on themes from his latest book, What Matters Most: Living a More Considered Life. Its premise: “We are here to be eccentric, different, perhaps strange, perhaps merely to add to our small piece, our little clunky, chunky selves, to the great mosaic of being.”
Don Moss, Chair of Saybrook’s Mind-Body Medicine program, will reflect upon what matters most with the perspective of his work in psychology and integrated health studies. He has published extensively, and his most recent book, Pathways to Illness, Pathways to Health explores the relationships between the mind and the body and how these impact how we are in the world.

Join us after the presentation and learn about our graduate programs in Jungian Studies (with residential options in San Francisco and Houston) and Mind-Body Medicine.

Read Dr. Hollis’ article in the latest issue of Psychological Perspectives here.

Date: Thursday, January 14, 2009
Time: 7:00 - 9:00PM PST
1 Old Bayshore Highway, Millbrae, CA 94030
Event Schedule:
6:45- 7 PM Attendee Check-in
7:00 PM: Program
7:00 Introductions
7:05 Dr. Hollis
7:50 Dr. Moss
8:30 Q & A and Saybrook information

To RSVP, click here.
Applications are being accepted for Fall 2010.

Continue Reading

Celebrate the New Saybrook University, JAN 15, 2010

12/14/2009

Celebrate the New Saybrook University
Friday
January 15, 2010
7PM - 10PM
Westin San Francisco Airport Hotel
Bayshore Ballroom

See the SAVE THE DATE Notice

Continue Reading

Melanie Joy, PhD '03 Releases New Book

12/14/2009

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=why+we+love+dogs+eat+pigs+and+wear+cows&sprefix=why+we+love+dogs

Melanie Joy, PhD '03 has just published Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows

Available at Amazon.com

"Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows is an eye-opening account of a little-questioned article of faith in our culture: the idea that it is normal to befriend some animals while exploiting others. A step-by-step analysis of a cultural blind spot, it is a powerful blend of reason, compassion, and psychological insight. Please have the courage to challenge mental habits and be curious. This book is a frank and friendly guide that can be your ally in understanding yourself, your culture – and your choices."
Linda Riebel, PhD '81, Saybrook Alumna and Faculty Member

Continue Reading

Pacific Graduate School of Psychology is Hiring Faculty Members

12/14/2009

Pacific Graduate School of Psychology at Palo Alto University is hiring several faculty members see attached (also see APA Monitor ad http://jobs.psyccareers.com/jobdetail.cfm?job=3245253 ). PGSP has an active LGBTQ Program, including active recruitment of students, specialized class work, the Center for LGBTQ Evidence-based Applied Research, and a dedicated unit within our training clinic for clinical training and research known as the Sexual and Gender Identities Clinic.

As the Director of the LGBTQ Program I seek to support the application of colleagues with research interest in LGBTQ applied research, especially psychotherapy research, health research, child research, gender issues. Outstanding research training is a high priority.

Inquiries can be made directly to Robert Russell, Ph.D. Director of Clinical Training for the Ph.D. Program or to me for further information. Please check out our website: Clear-research.org

Peter B. Goldblum, Ph.D., MPH
Professor of Psychology, Ph.D. Program
Director of the Center for LGBTQ Evidence-based Applied Research (CLEAR)
Director of the Sexual and Gender Identities Clinic
Pacific Graduate School of Psychology of Palo Alto University
1791 Arastradero Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Phone; (650) 961-7503 X25
Fax: (650) 961-2467
Email: pgoldblum@pgsp.edu

Continue Reading