Archives For: February 2010

Ransom Center Awards Annual Fellowships

02/26/2010

The Ransom Center annually awards 50 fellowships to support scholarly research projects in all areas of the humanities, including literature, photography, film, art, the performing arts, music, and cultural history. Applicants must demonstrate the necessity of substantial on-site use of the Center's collections. The fellowships range from one to three months, with stipends of $3,000 per month. Also available are $1,200 to $1,700 travel stipends and dissertation fellowships with a $1,500 stipend. The stipends are funded by individual donors and organizations, including the Ransom Center, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Hobby Family Foundation, the Dorot Foundation, the Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies at The University of Texas at Austin, the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, the South Central Modern Language Association, and The University of Texas at Austin Office of Graduate Studies. http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fellowships/

Continue Reading

A Message from Alison Bonds Shapiro, Chair of Saybrook's Board of Trustees

02/26/2010

Dear Students, Faculty, Alumni, and Staff,

During this transition period, I promised to periodically update you on the progress we are making at Saybrook University on the presidential search. By design the presidential search process has been discreet. However, there are a few items I would like to share with you and to give you an idea of where we are in the process.

First, the Search Committee was overwhelmed by the number of resumes received for this position. There is a lot of interest in and enthusiasm for Saybrook University at this moment. This response has to do with the investment of hard work and resources the staff and Board have put into our transformation into Saybrook University. It took the Search Committee and the search firm a good deal of time to review these candidates’ applications and select a list with whom we conducted extensive face-to-face meetings. After doing so, the Search Committee came to agreement on a short list of candidates, all of whom have the credentials, experience and passion to lead Saybrook University. We were very impressed with the caliber of candidates who stepped forward in this search.

Once this final group of candidates was identified, which took place before the holiday break, the Search Committee turned the process over to the Board of Trustees. We were pleased to find ourselves in such an optimal position to make a choice for the future leader of Saybrook University. The Board of Trustees fully realizes the potential of this moment in Saybrook’s history and is conducting the selection of our next President with the appropriate care and thoughtfulness. We have been meeting with the final candidates and conducting thorough background and reference checks to ensure our decision is as informed as possible. We have been exhaustive in our due diligence, and we are impressed by what we are learning about our choices.

The carefulness with which we are conducting this search takes a good deal of time. However, we are confident it will pay off in as we ensure the Saybrook University community that we have made the best decision possible. As soon as there is more information to report to you, I will be happy to do so. In the meantime, thank you for all the good work you have been doing to keep Saybrook moving forward during this transition, and thank you to the alumni for your ongoing support.

Alison

Continue Reading

Saybrook Alumna Deirdre Bundy, PhD '09 Opens Mentoring Service for Adolescent and Teenage Girls

02/26/2010

Saybrook Alumna Deirdre Bundy, PhD '09 and Briana Schuck are very excited to announce the official launching of the LITTLE LADIES SPORTS CLUB, a mentoring service for adolescent and teenage girls ages 8-18 years of age in the Malibu, Venice, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Westwood, Brentwood, Bel Air and Beverly Hills, CA area! After months of creation and collaboration we are now enrolling young ladies for activity based mentoring!

And here is what’s in it for you! We are pleased to offer REFERRAL REWARDS! It’s easy – if you have a friend, family member etc. with a daughter and they sign up to work with us you will receive a $25 gift card!

Sounds simple enough? Just send them (or print out) the flyer attached to this email and make sure they mention your name when they sign up!

WHAT IS LITTLE LADIES SPORTS CLUB ANYWAY?

The LITTLE LADIES SPORTS CLUB is a mentoring service for adolescent and teenage girls ages 8-18 years of age. We pair strong, athletic, and healthy female role models with young girls experiencing various challenges in their lives. This relationship allows the girls to work through such issues as low self-esteem, body image issues, low sociability, low self-confidence, sedentary lifestyle and substance abuse just to name a few. The outcome is an empowered sense of self, a new enjoyment of physical activities and a healthy body!

For more information please visit our website: http://www.littleladiessportsclub.com

Also, become a fan on facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/littleladiessportsclub

Thank you so much for all of your love, support, and assistance in helping us and these girls!

Briana and Deirdre

briana@littleladiessportsclub.com deirdre@littleladiessportsclub.com
310-402-6479 310-804-2402

Continue Reading

Position Open as Department Chair, International Psychology, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology

02/26/2010

Department Chair, International Psychology
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology ¡V Chicago Campus

The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (www.thechicagoschool.edu) is an independent, regionally accredited not-for profit graduate school providing education for careers in psychology and related behavioral and health sciences. The Chairperson of the International Psychology Department is responsible for providing visionary leadership for the academic direction of the department. The Department Chair must be an optimistic, action-oriented leader who will motivate faculty to embrace these values in the classroom and within the institution. Responsibilities include curriculum quality and development, scheduling, preparation for programmatic accreditation, assessment of student learning and program improvement, and supervision of faculty and department administrators.

The International Psychology PhD was launched on line in 2009. The Department Chair is being brought in to lead and grow the campus-based version of the program.

Position Qualifications:
„X A doctoral degree in psychology, concentration open, with a license or license eligibility desired.
„X Teaching and academic administration at the post-secondary level as well as professional experience is required.
„X Extensive international experience in at least one of the following areas is essential: international field work (e.g., Fulbright Scholar; visiting professor); international research including partnering with international scholars and/or collaborating on-site in data design, collection, and publication; international professional association work (e.g., officer with one of the international associations such as International Council of Psychologists).
„X Solid people development skills with a focus on providing opportunities for faculty and staff to excel.

Why consider the opportunity?
„X Healthy institution in growth mode. It is an exciting time to be a part of the institution. Opportunities are unlimited.
„X The International Psychology program is the first of its kind in the US. You will help build and grow the campus-based program.
„X Culture. The Chicago School offers a culture of innovation and excellence. It is a fast-paced, fun place to work. Bright, hardworking, ambitious employees are valued and rewarded. TCS was named one of the ¡§best colleges to work for¡¨ by The Chronicle of Higher Ed in 2009.

For more information or to apply, contact:
Beth Baldino
Sr. Consultant
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct dial 609-730-1277
bbaldino@summitsearchsolutions.com

Continue Reading

The Latest from Saybrook Alumna Marie Fonrose, PhD '03 in Haiti

02/26/2010

Dear Saybrook Community,

What I did not anticipate was funds for the project itself. I visited a camp where water was scarce so I had to buy water for the kids. Can you imagine counseling someone who is thirsty or even hungry? My church also ended up supporting the project, which is great. I can now use some of their funds to provide water and some nourishment to the kids. Many of them have to walk from the camp to the hospital to see me, on an unpaved road. I visited the camp personally by car; it is quite a distance.

The alternative is for them to get on a motorcycle, which cost 5
Haitian dollars (approx. 80 cents, US). The need is great!

I will be on the town's radio station (102.5) tonight along with Pastor Mioche Rock providing information about what to expect from children as a result of the event and how to help them move on. We will educate for
half hour and take questions as well.

On Monday, I will visit the an elementary school and meet with the
teachers and administrators.

Until then,
Marie

Continue Reading

Invitation to Submit Papers and Articles to be Presented at a Serbian Yoga and Science Conference

02/26/2010

An Invitation to submit Papers and Articles to be Presented at a Yoga and Science Conference

Prof. PhD Predrag Nikic
President of the Yoga Federation of Serbia

yogafederationofserbia@gmail.com

Bosa Janjusevic
Certified Instructor of the Yoga Center of Serbia

Continue Reading

Summer Internship Programs in San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, and Newark, NJ

02/26/2010

Summer Internship Programs in San Francisco Bay Area, New York City and Newark, NJ
Click Here for More Information

Continue Reading

Saybrook Alumna Marie Fonrose PhD '03 Writes to Us from Pignon, Haiti

02/26/2010

Good afternoon,
Hope everyone is well. I am well in Pignon. I am so grateful to be
here for they really need the help and are appreciative of it. I
visited two orphanages, and held group therapy sessions, as well as
individual sessions at the hospital. It is going to take a while for
the kids to return to some sort of normalcy; however, there are some
who are progressing. Other than PTSD, I see a lot of panic/anxiety
attacks. Some of them will have to undergo desensitization before they
are able to sleep under a roof. I am so happy to find that these kids
have such strong faith in God and I am capitalizing on that. If you
would like to communicate via phone, this is the number: 011 509 39 04
63 91.

-Marie

Marie Fonrose

Continue Reading

Saybrook Admissions Asks Alumni to Share this Open House Announcement with Prospective Students

02/26/2010

SAYBROOK UNIVERSITY OPEN HOUSE
FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
MARCH 18, 2010

JOIN US IN-PERSON OR VIA WEBCAST

We invite prospective students to join us for Saybrook's Open House and learn more about Saybrook's distance education model. Find out about our new academic programs, including the residential PsyD program started in Fall 2008, our Mind-Body Medicine program started in Fall 2009 and our scholarships for new incoming MA and PhD students. You can attend in person or by web cast.

The Open House will offer an overview on Saybrook's blended distance learning programs (residential conferences required for each program) and provide an opportunity for prospective students to address questions to faculty, current students, and staff. Saybrook offers on-line independent and on-line cohort classes.

Learn more about our degrees in Psychology, Human Science, Organizational Systems and Mind-Body Medicine and how to deepen your academic study and research with a concentration in Consciousness and Spirituality, Humanistic and Transpersonal Psychology, Integrative Health Studies, Organizational Systems, or Social Transformation, or a specialization in Jungian Studies or Marriage and Family Therapy.

DATE: THURSDAY, MARCH 18, 2010
TIME: 5:30 - 8:00 PM (Pacific time)

To register: RSVP here

747 Front Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
[Google maps]

Check-in: 5:30 - 5:45 PM

Saybrook University provides rigorous graduate education that inspires transformative change in individuals, organizations, and communities, toward a just, humane, and sustainable world.

For more information on upcoming events, we invite you to visit our website
Saybrook Events

Questions? Contact the Admissions Office:
E-mail: admissions@saybrook.edu
Telephone: 800-825-4480

www.saybrook.edu

Continue Reading

Meet the Author-Saybrook Alumna Sunny Massad, PhD '00 on Book Tour in Southern California

02/26/2010

Meet the Author

Sunny Massad,Ph.D.'00
President and Founder of the Hawaii Wellness Institute

“Self-improvement can be self-abusive because the constant drive to fix, cure, and acquire, prevents peace of mind in the present.”
Sunny Massad

You are invited to attend a FREE book reading, workshop, and signing at any one of the locations below:

Get a signed copy of UnTherapy ($15 paperback, $25 hardbound)

or

Come to a 2-hour self-reflective workshop to fuel self-confidence, eradicate behavior patterns and reverse self-sabotage

"Sunny's enthusiasm is contagious. It is difficult to be in her presence and not be enthusiastic about living a more enlightened life...Don't miss the opportunity!"

Sunny will be available for private sessions in the Fullerton, CA area on Thursday, Feb. 25th and
at the Mystic Journey in Venice Beach, CA after the workshop on Saturday Feb. 27.

To book an appointment call her at 1-800-501-3179.

Mystic Journey Books (Venice)
Tuesday,Feb. 23 7:00-9:00
FREE reading & demo

Mystic Journey Books (Venice) Saturday, Feb. 27 1:00- 3:00
$65 reflective workshop

Bodhi Tree (West Hollywood)
Friday, Feb. 26 7:30-9:30
FREE reading & demo

Bodhi Tree (West Hollywood)
Sunday, Feb.28 3:00-5:00
$65 reflective work

"A succinct, practical, no-nonsense workbook that explains how to master
self-compassion, personal responsibility and meditative awareness."

"A User's Manual for the Mind."
Honolulu Star Bulletin

For more information about each venue go to http://www.hawaiiwellnessinstitute.org/book.htm

To order the book click go to http://www.booklocker.com/books/4461.html
or to Amazon.com

------ End of Forwarded Message

Continue Reading

Saybrook Annual APA Convention Dinner-Sponsored by the Saybrook Alumni Association in Cooperation with Executive Faculty Member Dr. Stan Krippner

02/26/2010

Save the Date 6:00 to 8:00 PM, Friday, August 13, 2010 for the Saybrook Annual APA Convention Dinner-Sponsored by the Saybrook Alumni Association in Cooperation with Executive Faculty Member Dr. Stan Krippner

Contact the SaybrookAlumniAssociation@Saybrook.edu or call 415-394-5968 to be placed on the Saybrook APA Dinner mailing list.

Every attempt will be made to pick a restaurant location within walking distance from the convention center. Last year, at least 25 members of the Saybrook Community and their guests attended. It was a spirited evening, rich with conversation, sharing, and getting to know fellow Saybrookians. Please join us.

Continue Reading

Saybrook Alumnus Bob Hieronimus, PhD is Part of Panel of Artists on Race, Religion, Social Justice and Inspiration

02/26/2010

Dr. Bob Hieronimus in New York as part of Panel of Artists on Race, Religion, Social Justice and Inspiration

Thursday, February 25, 2010 from 6 to 8pm New York City

On Thursday, February 25th from 6-8 PM you are invited to join Faith Ringgoold and Dr. Bob Hieronimus and several other artists and writers for "An Evening with Faith Ringgold and Friends: Artists and Writers Discuss Race, Religion, Social Justice and Inspiration." This event is co-sponsored by the Temple of Understanding and is taking place at the ACA Galleries at 529 West 20th Street. Go to www.ACAGalleries.com for more info.

Continue Reading

An Interesting Book Signing for SF Bay Area Alumni

02/26/2010

A newly arrived 65 year old blues man will be reading from his book -The Shamanic Wisdom of the Huichol: Medicine Teachings for Modern Times
BOOK SIGNING EVENT AT BOOK PASSAGE MONDAY APRIL 19 AT 7PM 51 TAMAL VISTA BLVD. CORTE MADERA, CA 415-927-09960.

Each book is a seed that uplifts awareness about how to show up in a good medicine way during this time of the Great Turning.

YOU CAN BUY A COPY AT THE BOOK SIGNING AND/OR ORDER A COPY AND SEE A ONE MINUTE VIDEO ABOUT THE BOOK at http://tompinkson.ning.com/ Just push "watch trailer" on the upperleft of the home page.

LISTEN TO A RECENT INTERNET INTERVIEW ON WHY SHAMANISM NOW
- 'Medicine Teachings for Modern Times' -http://www.voiceamerica.com/voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=44586

Continue Reading

Alumnus Stefan Kasian, PhD '06 and Executive Faculty Member Stan Krippner Co-author Book Chapter

02/26/2010

A chapter that Saybrook Execurive Faculty Member Stanley Krippner and Alumnus Stefan Kasian have co-authored, "Cross-cultural perspectives on euthanasia" has been published by the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness (SAC)in the new book, So What? Now What? The Anthropology of Consciousness Responds to a World In Crisis.

This book is in 23 academic libraries worldwide! It will soon be reprinted (with all errata repaired) in paperback form as well, thus becoming much more affordable. A pdf of our chapter is attached for your enjoyment Click Here.

The SAC has set up a website for the book, www.sowhatnowwhat.net where you can sign on for discussing the issues therein. It is also available at www.amazon.com. The editors Matthew Bronson and Tina Fields encourage you to visit the website and forums to engage in discussions of these important and interesting topics. The full Intro is there in pdf form, as are all of the abstracts, and an errata sheet for the first hardback edition.

Finally, we will be holding a book launch party/30th anniversary of SAC as part of the annual meeting of the SAC, held at UC Berkeley Faculty Club on the evening of Fri, March 19 from 5-6 PM. This book launch party will be open to the public, please join us if you can. For further information please visit: sacaaa.org

Dr. Stefan Kasian
Professor of Psychology, Akamai University
drstefanjkasian.com - psychology
stefanjkasian.com - real estate

(c) Stefan Kasian MMIX. All rights preserved. Not for redistribution. Private material.

Continue Reading

Saybrook Alumna Marie Fonrose, PhD '03 Leaves for Haiti on Feb. 19

02/26/2010

A note from Marie:

I want to thank everyone at Saybrook as well as friends who donated to the Saybrook Alumni Association to support my trip to Haiti. As you
know, I have been waiting patiently to go to Haiti and help the earthquake victims with the healing process. I signed up with so many organizations that I lost count. However, Promise for Haiti
(Healthcare, education, & clean water), a 501c3 nonprofit organization responded to my call to serve. For more information, please visit
www.promiseforhaiti.org

As I waited to depart with a member of Promise for Haiti, Dr. Theodore, founder of Hopital Bienfaisance de Pignon, wrote an email from Haiti dated February 10, 2010, "We need Fonrose’s help to cope with the post earthquake situation. She will join two other psychologists on site in Pignon. We have patients going into depression due to the earthquake."

As I mentioned to you before, if we do not focus on mental health issues quickly and develop a plan to address the issues; PTSD may become an epidemic and jeopardize the well-being of large segments of the population in many areas for a long period of time. People’s grief is compounded by many elements: loss of family members in addition to homes and communities, constant anxiety regarding the well-being of family members, and uncertainty about the future.

My flight leaves on Friday, February 19, 2010. I will keep you updated on a weekly basis.

Continue Reading

The Berlin School of Mind and Brain Invites Applications

02/09/2010

VISITING SCHOLAR AND STUDENT PROGRAM: BERLIN SCHOOL OF MIND AND BRAIN
>
> Application deadline: 1st May 2010.
> Enquiries: admissions@mind-and-brain.de
> Web: http://www.mind-and-brain.de/overview/visitors
>
> The Berlin School of Mind and Brain invites applications for visiting
> scholars and students.
>
> The Berlin School of Mind and Brain is an international research
> school, cated in the vibrant heart of Berlin. Founded in 2006 as part of
> Germany's Excellence Initiative, it offers a unique three-year
> interdisciplinary doctoral program in English in the mind/brain sciences.
> Research within the School focuses on the interface between the humanities
> and the neurosciences. Of particular interest are research areas that fall
> on the borders between the mind sciences (e.g., philosophy, linguistics,
> behavioral and cognitive science, economics), and the brain sciences
> (e.g., neurophysiology, computational neuroscience, neurology, and
> neurobiology). Major topics of research within the program include:
> 'conscious and unconscious perception', 'decision-making', 'language',
> 'brain plasticity and lifespan ontogeny', 'mental disorders and brain
> dysfunction', and the 'philosophy of mind'. However, research is not
> limited to these areas, and students are strongly encouraged to develop
> and work at their own initiative on any projects that are relevant to
> interdisciplinary questions relating to mind and brain.
>
> Visiting scholars will have a doctoral degree, and be working in an
> area f research relevant to the School. Visiting student status is available
> to qualified doctoral students currently enrolled in programs not
> affiliated with the Berlin School of Mind and Brain. In rare circumstances
> students with a master's degree may also be granted visiting student
> status. Visiting scholars are provided a desk and computer in a shared
> office space. Both visiting scholars and students will be provided with
> access to the internet and university libraries. In addition, visiting
> students are allowed by prior arrangement to participate in relevant
> aspects of the School’s teaching program during their visit. It is
> anticipated that visiting scholars and students will participate actively
> in the academic life of the School. The School would be delighted, for
> instance, to hear suggestions from visiting scholars regarding potential
> seminars or journal clubs that they might organize during their stay.
>
> Further details can be found:
> http://www.mind-and-brain.de/overview/visitors
>
> Patrick Wilken, PhD
> Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin
> Berlin School of Mind and Brain
> Luisenstraße 56
> D-10099 Berlin
>
> www.mind-and-brain.de
>
> My new book:
> The Oxford Companion to Consciousness http://tinyurl.com/oq7tzr
>
> Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.
>
>

Continue Reading

Alumna Rivka Bertisch Meir, Ph.D. '05 Publishes New Book

02/09/2010

Alumna Rivka Bertisch Meir, Ph.D. '05 Publishes Stop Beliefs That Stop Your Life

This book describes a new technique of self-transformation that can substantially change your life in a short period of time by demonstrating the importance of fixed beliefs in determining Life Patterns that cause us to repeat the same destructive behaviors over and over again. When beliefs are modified, there is an immediate transformation, "barriers" collapse and we experience greater union, cooperation, humanization and wellbeing at all levels.

Available at: http://www.DoctorRivka.com/store.html
and at www.amazon.com

Continue Reading