01/30/2013

Creativity and Education, 1/2013

by Katherine Frey/The Washington Post
by Katherine Frey/The Washington Post

1.) "Top 10 Skills Children Learn in the Arts" by Valerie Strauss: Click here to read"You don’t find school reformers talking much about how we need to train more teachers in the arts, given the current obsession with science, math, technology and engineering (STEM), but here’s a list of skills that young people learn from studying the arts. They serve as a reminder that the arts — while important to study for their intrinsic value — also promote skills seen as important in academic and life success."

2.) "The Arts and Our Kids: An Essential Element of Success" by Gwenn Schurgin O'Keefe, MD: Click here to read"Some moments in our kids' lives become epic in their impact on them and their ability to refocus us, as their parents. In my 18 year old daughter's life, one of those moments occurred when she was in second grade. She had big plans for her life back then. "I'm going to be a dolphin trainer, singer, archeologist", she would tell us. We pictured her going on great adventures, digging up ancient ruins while performing one one continent, while swimming with the dolphins and training them on others, or while hunting for undersea treasures, whichever happened to work out for her."

3.) "A New Hope for Arts Education" by Oscar T. Basulto: Click here to read: "I quit teaching middle school almost ten years ago because I grew tired of dealing with what I perceived as a lack of support from school and district administrators. Soon after, I stumbled upon Casa 0101, a small non-profit theatre in Boyle Heights. I joined a writing class which culminated in the participants performing each other’s work on stage for an audience. That class led to another, which led to stage managing gigs, which led to an assortment of writing and acting credits that now comprise my career in theatre. Though it has not yet been a financially viable career, I remain dedicated to improving as an artist and one day making art a sustainable career.
Posted at 04:40 PM

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus

Comments