04/25/2012

Study Reveals Global Creativity Gap

Universal Concern that Creativity is Suffering at Work and School

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Considering Existential Joy

04/25/2012
Considering Existential Joy
Existential joy is the moment of exaltation in which we are at one with the world and conscious of our being in a kind of illumination that carries a deep conviction with it. This is a state of being that many people seek to experience in their lives. If we cannot have it all of the time, we at least want that sensation coursing through us most of the time. This is a concept that I have heard little of in the existential psychology. It is more prevalent in discussions of existential philosophy. But what is its place in psychotherapy? Existential joy is the direct opposite of existential...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

You’ll Never Know How Much I Love You... and Other Things that Defy Metrics

04/24/2012
You’ll Never Know How Much I Love You... and Other Things that Defy Metrics
I have labile hypertension. Having labile hypertension means my blood pressure readings bounce around. Sometimes my blood pressure reads in the normal range and sometime in the high-normal range. Unlike my internal body temperature and my pulse, there’s no obvious reason why taking two measurements under the same conditions and minutes apart should produce significantly different readings. Yet, for me, that’s the normal state of affairs. A recent visit to the doctor got me thinking about the challenge of measuring other things that are hard to pin down, like employee satisfaction...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Integrative Care for Low Back Pain: A Research Report Worth Reading

04/24/2012

Does the name David Eisenberg sound familiar?  David Eisenberg’s landmark 1993 study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1993, put complementary and alternative medicine on the radar screen for most health professionals.  Eisenberg of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School and colleagues conducted a national telephone survey of 1539 homes, and surveyed the use of alternative therapies and alternative practitioners.  The Eisenberg et al. (1993) study showed that 34 % of respondents used at least one unconventional therapy in 1990, and one third of these persons saw a provider of unconventional therapy. They saw the providers for an average of 19 visits, and paid an average of $27.60 per visit. A majority used unconventional therapy for chronic conditions, and the most frequent disorders involved were back problems (36 percent), anxiety (28 percent), headaches (27 percent), chronic pain (26 percent), and cancer or tumors (24 percent). Another important finding by Eisenberg was that 72 % of those using unconventional therapy did not disclose this information to their medical doctor.

Continue Reading

Creativity

CREATIVE INSPIRATION

04/24/2012

“The construct of everyday creativity is defined in terms of human originality at work and leisure across the diverse activities of everyday life. It is seen as central to human survival, and, to some extent, it is (and must be) found in everyone. Because everyday creativity is not just about what one does, but also how, creative process as well as product are observed.”
Ruth Richards

Continue Reading

Creativity

CREATIVITY RESOURCES

04/24/2012

Interested in Creativity & Education?
Top Twelve List of ‘Must Watch’ TED Talks

1. Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

2. Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the revolution.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_bring_on_the_revolution.html

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Facebook Isn't Making Us Lonely, But It's Making It Hard For Us To Be Anything Else

04/24/2012
Facebook Isn't Making Us Lonely, But It's Making It Hard For Us To Be Anything Else
There are a lot of hypotheticals around the question: “if we are lonelier, is our technology to blame?” A recent article in The Atlantic

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Seeking Justice, Lives Worthy of Human Dignity: A Child’s Dignity Violated, A Woman Scorned (Part II)

04/24/2012
Seeking Justice, Lives Worthy of Human Dignity: A Child’s Dignity Violated, A Woman Scorned (Part II)
In this post, I will continue my story about a 25-year-old Kenyan woman who I have named "Mrembo" for the sake of this writing. Mrembo managed to escape the deeply violating, humiliating, dehumanizing, cruel, degrading and traumatic experiences at the hands of her former husband of seven years—a man whom she had married after he sexually assaulted her when she was 14. My previous post closed with Mrembo having left her five children in the care of her maternal grandmother in the countryside so that she could travel to Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, in search of employment...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Three New Certificates in Mind-Body Studies

04/23/2012

The College of Mind-Body Medicine opened in August 2009, with a master’s degree and three PhD specializations (mind-body medicine practice, health care systems, and research).  In addition, the College offered a 16 credit Certificate in Mind-Body Medicine, for busy professionals who were not able to dedicate the time for a degree program. This certificate included a nine credit sequence of foundation courses that include training with the Center for Mind-Body medicine. This is the same training that the Center uses in its humanitarian outreach programs in Kosovo, Gaza, Israel, Katrina areas, and Haiti.

Information on this original Certificate in Mind-Body Medicine is available on the College of MBM website at: http://www.saybrook.edu/mbm/academicprograms/programs

At this time in May 2012, the College is introducing three new Certificates in additional mind-body practice areas.  They include:

A Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching

A Certificate in Biofeedback and Neurofeedback

A Certificate in Clinical and Applied Hypnosis

Continue Reading

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

New resource available in peace journalism

04/23/2012

In April 2012 the first issue of The Peace Journalist appeared. The developing field known as peace journalism is distinguished by editors and reporters making choices that improve the prospects  for peace. These choices, including how to frame stories and carefully choosing which words are used, create an atmosphere conducive to peace and supportive of peace initiatives and peacemakers, without compromising the basic principles of good journalism. Peace journalism gives peacemakers a voice while making peace initiatives and non-violent solutions more visible and viable.

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus