The Saybrook Forum

New Existentialists

Becoming a Father, Becoming Myself

06/01/2012
Becoming a Father, Becoming Myself
When I consider the relationship between fatherhood and the existentialist framework, I am confronted with a disturbing realization. One of the most central and important existentialist principles, for me, is self-actualization; however, my initial tendency is not to relate this essential dynamic to my identity as a father. The question that immediately follows this troubling awareness is, of course, “Why is this true for me?” Is it because I don’t like being a father? Of course not; although I do find parenting to be very challenging, I love my two boys and I love being their dad. Is it...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Happy Mental Health Month!

05/31/2012
Happy Mental Health Month!
For those of you who didn’t know the month of May has been National Mental Health Month. And even if you did know about Mental Health Month, you may not know that we have been celebrating this since 1949. According to a press release from Kathleen Sibelius, Secretary for Health and Human Services: Mental Health Month was established in 1949 to increase awareness of the importance of mental health and wellness in Americans’ lives, and to celebrate recovery from mental illness. We know that mental health is essential for a person’s overall health; prevention works; treatment is effective; and...

Continue Reading

LIOS

Inspiration and the Sky

05/30/2012
Inspiration and the Sky

Gotta testify, come up in the spot looking extra fly, For the day I die, I'mma touch the Sky” 

Kanye West, “Touch the Sky”

In life, we have no control over what inspires us. Inspiration can come from many different sources. I have been inspired by many unusual sources. When seeking inspiration, I often look to the Sky.  I look to the Sky for many reasons. 

In addition to being a metaphorical holding ground for the heavens, the Sky suggests dreaming, optimism, strength and a relationship with the atmosphere, a connection with the universe, an umbrella to all that is life.  That is inspiration. That is the Sky. 

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Love Recklessly

05/30/2012
Love Recklessly
When I first read Greg Behrendt’s book “He’s Just Not That Into You,” one of the statements he made that stuck out for me (and with me) was his claim that “you are not the exception.” The logic is that men generally behave in a predictable way, and as much as we women like to make excuses, we should save ourselves the heartache and assume that if a man isn’t behaving in certain ways, that he just isn’t into us. I think Behrendt is really onto something here, and if you haven’t read this book, I highly recommend it. BUT I also think that this “I am not the exception” kind of thinking has some...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Collaborating for a Sustainable Future

05/30/2012
Collaborating for a Sustainable Future
On May 11th, I attended the Sustainable Enterprise Conference in Rohnert Park, California. This conference has become a vibrant event in Sonoma County that fosters innovation and cultural change toward sustainability. Businesses, government and nonprofits are represented in this conference which presents both the best practices as well as the challenges ahead to create a sustainable economy and healthy community in northern California. I have attended the conference in previous years and the program continues to be rich and energizing. It is one of those events where you can get inspiration...

Continue Reading

Events

Human Science and Organizational Conference Call for Prospective Students

05/29/2012

On Thursday, June 14, join Dr. Joann McAllister, Human Science Program Chair, and Dr. Nancy Southern, Organizational Systems Co-Chair, to learn more about Saybrook programs. Prior to student questions, Dr. McAllister and Dr. Southern will lead discussion on select topics. To register, please RSVP HERE.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Selective Teaching: How Social Class May Influence What Children are Taught

05/29/2012
Selective Teaching: How Social Class May Influence What Children are Taught
In the U.S., our appreciation for a college education operates much like a simple casual loop reinforcing the belief that work toward a college education will eliminate barriers. In his 2004 book Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams, Alfred Lubrano notes the social pains of class mobility. You see, moving towards an educated "self" creates some unintended outcomes such as alienation from family due to "interest shifts" as well as the development and use of a "new" language. Lubrano, a Brooklyn native, wrote that, to him, being a son-of-a-bricklayer...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

A Journey to the Self in Assisi with Saybrook University Alumna Dr. Phyllis Clay

05/29/2012
Phyllis Clay
Saybrook University Psychology Alumna, and founder and executive director of Synthesis International, Inc.  Dr. Phyllis Clay (Ph.D. 2011) will be offering a 4-day Journey to the Self at Casa Maria Immacolata in Assisi, Italy. Dr. Clay, a psychosynthesis guide and teacher, has also apprenticed with Don Oscar Miro Quesada, Peruvian curandero and master ceremonialist. ...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Choosing Life

05/29/2012
Choosing Life
The most basic premise of existentialism is that we are all going to die eventually. No matter how much we may try to escape it or deny it, as Ernest Becker says, death will come for all of us. In a recent post to a Society for Humanistic Psychology list serve, David Elkins discussed some of Becker’s work, saying that in some ways, Becker paints a crude picture of humans as decaying animals, albeit, decaying animals with the ability to dream, think, create, and love. But at the very heart of existential philosophy, according to Elkins, is the question that he said Sartre, Tillich, and others...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Systems, Technology, and Good Intentions

05/28/2012
Systems, Technology, and Good Intentions
A recent course I took at Saybrook taught by Professor Chuck Piazza provided me not only a significant understanding of knowledge management within my own professional field, but also deeply implanted a slice of insight that I had likely possessed already. The insight? That systems thinking shows that technological systems are meaningless without consideration of both the machines that compose them and the people that design, operate, and benefit from them. First, we must recognize what systems are, what their nature is, and where they exist. In the simplest terms, according to Donella...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus