The Saybrook Forum

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

New resource available in peace journalism

04/23/2012

In April 2012 the first issue of The Peace Journalist appeared. The developing field known as peace journalism is distinguished by editors and reporters making choices that improve the prospects  for peace. These choices, including how to frame stories and carefully choosing which words are used, create an atmosphere conducive to peace and supportive of peace initiatives and peacemakers, without compromising the basic principles of good journalism. Peace journalism gives peacemakers a voice while making peace initiatives and non-violent solutions more visible and viable.

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

The Problem of God

04/23/2012
The Problem of God
It started as a random comment posted by a friend on Facebook. The statement concerned God’s need for companionship, with a little twist at the end. I thought it humorous, checked that I like it, and moved on. Within a couple of days, however, there were comments from mutual friends asking our friend to show a little more sensitivity and acceptance of their beliefs. It was a fair request, I suppose, but one that struck me as odd coming from well-educated individuals who generally demonstrate a great sense of humor. Being the serious, thoughtful, analytical, philosopher-theologian of which...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Four Tests for Assessing the Case for Change

04/23/2012
Four Tests for Assessing the Case for Change
If you think of yourself as a change agent, then you have or will have to deal with the business case for change. Simply stated, the business case for change is the convincing argument that we have to make to inspire others to embark on a change initiative. It is not just about the financials surrounding the change, but its feasibility and readiness—attributes that extend from the technical to the cultural. For me, the question about the business case for change has appeared in my work a number of times. Recently, it surfaced as I prepared for the organizational change class I co-teach...

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Conflict and Culture

04/22/2012

It has become increasingly common to discuss the cultural aspects of conflict and conflict resolution. Where does conflict come from? Some scholars take a social constructionist view of conflict, rooted in social science literature, which also provides the philosophical underpinnings of Human Science as taught at Saybrook. The construction of meaning is a social act, and meaning is a negotiated process.

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Renowned peace scholar Johan Galtung interviewed on Democracy Now!

04/19/2012

During the trial of Anders Behring Breivik - the anti-Muslim militant who massacred 77 people in Norway last summer - Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! spoke with Norwegian sociologist and mathematician, Johan Galtung, who is regarded as the principal founder of the discipline of peace and conflict studies. His granddaughter was on the island when Breivik attacked.

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Linsanity—An Example of Collectivist Leadership

04/19/2012
Linsanity—An Example of Collectivist Leadership
I am seriously bummed that Jeremy Lin has a bad knee. I am going through Linsanity withdrawal. Linsanity is a form of delirium that I’ll willingly practice and admit to. It is a nice counterbalance to the individualism that is marketed by the NBA. The NBA promotes its stars, and it is effective marketing. I am a fan of the Los Angeles Lakers because of Kobe Bryant. Michael Jordan is truly transcendent in how he has elevated the possibilities of how the game of basketball can be played by an individual. And get this—Michael Jordan was not the best pure athlete on his team! Scottie...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

A Conversation at the Crossroads

04/18/2012
A Conversation at the Crossroads
In the 1990s, Manuel Castells was extensively describing the "network society" that was emerging due to the Internet and modern digital technology. During this same time period, Howard Rheingold was promoting the value of virtual communities and charting how mobile information technology was enabling people to quickly organize to create movements and collaboratively take social action. In the early 2000s, Rob Cross was profiling organizational social networks, describing how they enable effective decision making and task completion if properly designed. Recent world political events...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Let’s Get Lost

04/18/2012
Let’s Get Lost
Earlier this week I had a session with one of my clients, and it was one of those special moments when as she unfolded and came alive, I became enlivened as well. This is a sixty-year old woman, who has been my client for a number of years. She is a survivor of breast cancer, a mother of a twenty-six year old daughter, and the wife of a husband who was diagnosed two years ago and is now in an advanced stage of multiple sclerosis. Barely able to walk, her husband is in need of constant care, and for two people who married in their forties and have lived their lives with independent passions,...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Systems Practice for Socio-Cultural Transformation: It Begins with Us

04/18/2012
Systems Practice for Socio-Cultural Transformation: It Begins with Us
This semester at Saybrook University, I taught a course titled "Systems Practice for Socio-Cultural Transformation." It was co-created with a group of organizational systems students who wanted to experience the implications of moving from systems thinking to systems being and explore other ways of working with systems tools and methodologies to facilitate transformation. As part of this learning adventure, the students organized a two-day workshop in addition to the time we had together at the beginning of the semester during Saybrook's residential conference in January. The...

Continue Reading

Creativity

DAILY CREATIVE INSPIRATION

04/17/2012

“The mainspring of creativity appears to be the same tendency which we discover so deeply as the curative force in psychotherapy – man’s tendency to actualize himself, to become his potentialities.” 

Carl R. Rogers

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus