The Saybrook Forum

Rethinking Complexity

Shared Ownership

06/13/2012
Shared Ownership
When I started thinking of a topic to write about for this post, the theme that immediately came to my mind was "shared ownership." It has been a theme that keeps coming up as I reflect on some of the challenges and opportunities I see in the organizational contexts where I work. Shared ownership can involve the real material common property of resources such as in a workers-owned cooperative, or it can be more ethereal as in the sense of a community that shares the responsibility for the wellbeing of its members. Between these two extremes, there can be many variations. But the...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Politics Isn't Biology—How Neurospsychology Fails in Understanding Our Freedom of Choice

06/13/2012
Politics Isn't Biology—How Neurospsychology Fails in Understanding Our Freedom of Choice
The motto of western science may be: to freedom and back again. In his magisterial examination of Western culture, the historian Jacques Barzun suggests that what makes the West “the West” is that for 500 years (from approximately the Renaissance to the present) a group of related cultures came together on a joint project that led to the development of shared value propositions. They went to war with each other (a lot), they were mortal enemies, they developed new means of killing each other—but they also stumbled together towards the development of ideals like Individualism, Nationalism...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Existential Psychology With a Chinese Face

06/12/2012
Existential Psychology With a Chinese Face
Wang Xuefu was the first psychologist I met in China in 2003 with a commitment to an indigenous psychology. It was he who introduced me to the Chinese novelist, Lu Xun, and to the notion of Zhi-mian (the courage to face the future), and I have been reading both Wang and Lu Xun ever since. Over the years, Wang has been in conversation with Western existentialism even as he has continued his work on the indigenous emphasis on Zhi-mian. At the Second International Conference on Existential Psychology in Shanghai, China, I proposed that we would do well to recognize the potential contribution of...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Report from the Second International Conference on Existential Psychology

06/11/2012
Report from the Second International Conference on Existential Psychology
The Second International Conference on Existential Psychology (ICEP), at Fudan University in Shanghai, China from May 24-27, 2012, was once again a great success as gauged by the number of people in attendance and the enthusiasm of the conference. The interest in the conference quickly outgrew the venue, which could only hold 300 people in the largest room. Within a short time of the conference registration opening and prior to planned marketing initiative, there were 450 requests to register. Due to this, many individuals who wanted to attend were not able to due to space limitations....

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Operation Tomodachi and the Japanese Spirit

06/11/2012
Operation Tomodachi and the Japanese Spirit
An incredibly powerful earthquake and resulting tsunami struck the West Coast of Japan’s Honshu Island last year. Honshu is the largest of more than 6,000 islands of the state of Nippon-Koku, or what we in the Western world often call "The Land of the Rising Sun." The loss of life and devastation to natural and man-made resources is incalculable: It is likely the greatest disaster of the modern world. As we now know, these natural disasters were compounded by the total collapse and compromise of the reactors of the Fukushima nuclear power plant with ensuing radiation,...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Teams & Technology

06/08/2012
Teams & Technology
In our organizations, people are working virtually more and more often. Despite distances, team members need to work together effectively and productively, sharing and combining their insights and knowledge. Everyone needs to be clear about who knows what so they can rely on each other and work together effectively. Sharing and integrating knowledge is essential for creating innovative products and services. To be effective, teams need to use collaborative technology AND they need to communicate clearly and often, interacting in ways that develop relationships and attain results. At the...

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

MBM Doctoral Student Beth Haggett Sheers Sheep and Participates in Master Class for Psychotherapists in France

06/08/2012

[Linda Finlay, PhD, is a British scholar in reflexive and hermeneutical phenomenological research method. She is serving as a dissertation coach for Beth Haggett’s doctoral dissertation.]

Here is a photo of my day sheep-shearing in Normandy, France, with my mentor/research coach Linda Finlay. Had a blast shearing and worming the 70 plus sheep. The farmhouse was built in the year 1600. I am here for a Master Class of Psychotherapists from France, Brazil, Italy, Denmark and the UK. It was a Gestalt training/supervision/theory course, intensive and experiential lead by Dr. Ken and Joanna Evans. I did an experiential "Parent Interview" and was picked up and held by this wonderful group of brothers and sisters from across the world, who showed me such great love and acceptance! 

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Shattered

06/08/2012
Shattered
It happens so quickly. One minute, your life is going along smooth and easy and the next, you are looking around at the wreckage of what used to be your life. In an instant, your life has radically changed and you're left with a pile of rubble, trying to pick through what's left and salvage the little bit you can. Shattered. The shattering event can be any number of things; an unfaithful spouse, sudden death of a parent, job loss, sick child or an illness. No matter the event, your life as you used to know it is over. Gone. Over. Finished. Shattered. In our society, being shattered is viewed...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Faded Chinese Ballroom

06/07/2012
Faded Chinese Ballroom
I am just returning from the tour that surrounds the International Conference on Existential Psychology in China. We began our visit this year in Shanghai. Most went home from there, with some moving on through other cities. I did some training in Wuhan for pastoral counselors and met up with the rest of the travelers in Shenzhen; we went through Hong Kong together. Our policy is to try to stay in low-rent places, because Western money can be very destructive. In places like Shanghai, local people cannot afford to live, as Dollars and Pounds and Euros inflate the housing market. There is too...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

I Get Fired Up When Donald Trump Says, "You’re Fired"

06/07/2012
I Get Fired Up When Donald Trump Says, "You’re Fired"
OK, I'll admit it: I’m addicted to Donald Trump's The Apprentice. Watching the show on TV a few weeks ago, I was struck by how its premise runs completely counter to the ideals of collective intelligence. Even though we’re watching teams compete, the show isn't about teamwork—it's about 18 individuals trying to take credit and deflect blame as they vie for Trump's recognition at everyone else's expense. Each episode culminates in a tense scene where Trump "fires" one member of the team that lost the most recent challenge. By the way, how can...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus