The Saybrook Forum

Events

Building the World We Want: A 1-Day Course

11/15/2011

The Metta Center for Nonviolence is offering a one-day course called Building the World We Want exploring Gandhi's 'Constructive Programme'.

Saturday, December 17, 2011
9 am - 5:30 pm
 8115 Middlefield Drive, Petaluma, California
Beautiful world"My real politics is constructive work." 
--M.K. Gandhi 

What was “Constructive Programme?”  Why did Gandhi consider it the keystone of his campaign for India’s liberation and the overturning of colonialism (as it was then)?  How would it help us with the present struggle against globalization and corporate rule?  If it were to play a role in the Occupy and other movements of today, what form would it take — or rather is it taking, as there are innumerable efforts right now that could be considered constructive program if they were harnessed for that role? 

Explore these questions with us and empower yourself and your organization
to add this neglected dimension to today’s struggle for social change.  
Together we can add unforeseen power to our individual and collective
efforts.

$125 (sliding scale)
Delicious vegetarian lunch provided
To register, please contact Stephanie@MettaCenter.org, or call 707.774.6299

Continue Reading

Events

US Human Rights Network Annual Conference in Los Angeles - Dec. 9-11

11/15/2011

The US Human Rights Network has a broad appeal to members of the Saybrook community, covering a wide range of rights issues from a human-centered perspective.

US Human Rights Network USHRN 2011 Conf STD

Building a People-Centered Human Rights Movement!

2011 National Human Rights Conference and Membership Meeting

December 9 - 11, 2011
Radisson LAX Hotel
Los Angeles, California

Forces in our country are working aggressively to dismantle the social gains and human rights won through centuries of struggle by people of color, women, and workers in the United States. Now more than ever we must build a people-centered human rights movement to transform our society and the US government to ensure that it respects, protects and fulfills the human rights of all.

The Conference will feature a host of critical human rights trainings for novices and veterans alike, covering these and other critical areas:

• Defending the rights of Indigenous and Oppressed Peoples
  • Attaining economic and social rights in the United States
  • Securing sexual and gender rights
  • Fighting for racial justice and immigrant rights
  • Fighting against torture and mass incarceration

Register now! For more information visit www.ushrnetwork.org/2011conference or email info@ushrnetwork.org.

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Videos of Peace Movements Worldwide event now online!

11/14/2011

On October 30th, AHIMSA and The Metta Center for Nonviolence Education presented a free public forum, entitled: Taking stock of peace: Inspiration from Peace Movements Worldwide.

This special event launched the recent publication of Peace Movements Worldwide, a three-volume anthology with chapters covering insights and action from every continent with accounts of courageous and creative actions, ranging from the personal to the global.

Saybrook professor Marc Pilisuk co-edited the volume and speakers included members of the Saybrook community: Donald Rothberg, Melissa Anderson-Hinn, Angel Ryono, Gianina Pellegrini, and moderator Bob Flax.

The event was recorded by Wolfgang Saumweber and made available free online, in 5 parts.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Information from the Peace and Justice Studies Association (PJSA) on Available Trainings in Non-Violence

11/11/2011
Here are a few groups that have done lots of training in nonviolence and could share a range of useful materials: American Friends Service Committee offers training for a wide range of nonviolent campaigns and to help people considering participation in an act of CD. Here's a link: www.afsc.org/resource/nonviolent-direct-action-civil-disobedience http://www.afsc.org/resource/nonviolent-direct-...

Continue Reading

Resources for training in nonviolence and civil resistance

11/11/2011

With the many Occupy movements currently underway worldwide, there is an increased need for preparation and training in nonviolent protest. Many resources have been offered on the Peace and Justice Studies Association listserv, including the following.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Eric Kreuter, Ph.D.'06 Presented Case Study on Victimization in Chongqing, China in October

11/10/2011
Alumnus Eric Kreuter, Ph.D.'06 presented a case study on victimization in Chongqing, China in October at the 2nd Annual World Forensic Congress. Eric also has an upcoming book, to be released Dec 2011: Victimization Analyzed Through the Voices of a Predator: Expansion of a Single Case Study, Nova Science Publishers.

Continue Reading

Debating human rights in the IT industry

11/10/2011

By Jillian York, 10/31/2011, in Movements.org

@mx_500(This article is cross posted from Al Jazeera English)

Last week in San Francisco, a unique gathering occurred. Dubbed "Rightscon" (Silicon Valley Human Rights Conference), the conference attracted Silicon Valley executives, activists, academics and NGOs, all gathered in one room to debate the role of human rights within the tech industry, as well as the role of the tech industry in serving human rights interests. 

Incidents from the past year - from the denial of service to WikiLeaks by Amazon, PayPal and others to the complicity of international companies in Egypt’s telecommunications shutdown - have put the subject of human rights at the forefront of discussion within the technology industry. While companies debate their responsibilities to serve activists, whose particular circumstances may be seen as "edge cases", NGOs often frame their advocacy within the same rubric.

Egyptian activist Alaa Abd El Fattah, who is currently under threat of military prosecution, argued that the framing is wrong, stating that both parties should think more about ordinary users. Referring specifically to the controversysurrounding identity on social networks, Facebook and Google+, he said:

"When ordinary users can’t choose a pseudonym, their identity is negated. Women know the importance of negotiating identity, they do it all the time. So do gays, religious minorities, whatever. We choose how to reveal who I am, on what terms and in what basis. When you restrict me from doing this, you violate my human rights… It is about who I am, my identity, how I express myself and how I communicate with the world."

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumna Deirdre Bundy, M.A. '09 Releases New Playball Newsletter

11/10/2011
Click here to see the new Playball Newsletter about a sports skills and movement program for kids age 2 to 6 created by Alumna Deirdre Bundy, M.A. '09.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Steven Kull, PhD '80 Releases New Edition of World Public Opinion.org

11/10/2011
See new release of World Public Opinion November 10, 2011 by Alumnus Steven Kull, Ph.D.'80.

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Beth Haggett, PhD candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

11/09/2011

Beth HaggettOver 30 years ago as a 19 year old girl I told my husband that someday I wanted to get a PhD in Psychoneuroimmunology. When I heard Saybrook was starting a program in Mind-Body Medicine I was the first to apply. I am a Doctoral student in the Mind-Body Medicine PhD-Health Systems Track. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of Utah specializing in work with individuals, adolescents, and couples, using a variety of methodologies.

My tagline is “FEEL GREAT-LOVE LIFE” which is what I strive for in my own life and what I help my clients to accomplish.

I received my Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work from Walla Walla College in 1996. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.  I have a private practice from which I have done Coaching, Counseling and Consulting, to corporations since 1999.  I have the advanced postgraduate “Master Personal and Executive Coach” certification through the College of Executive Coaching.  I have advanced training in EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, Addictions, Crisis Intervention, Family Systems, Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, and Personal and Executive Coaching and Mind-Body Medicine. 

I have worked as a consultant, trainer, facilitator and coach for corporations such as:  Hitachi, Oracle, VeriSign, Agile, Amdahl, RIM, and many others.  I develop curriculum and provide assessments and training for groups of Coaches and high level Executives. I have worked successfully with multi-national corporations, helping to create optimal corporate cultures and facilitate relationships between global teams. 

I have recently relocated to Midway, Utah where I enjoy hiking, riding my beautiful Azteca horse and spending time with my adult children and many friends. 

I use my Mind-Body Medicine training both with my therapy clients as well as in my corporate training. I also have many varied and interesting experiences outside of work in which I am able to utilize my training and education in Mind-Body Medicine. I find that I have a whole box full of skills and tools that I can pull out as needed. Mostly I find that I have gained a confidence and knowledge that allows me to jump in when needed and helps others sense they can trust and count on me.

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus