The Saybrook Forum

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Steven Kull, PhD '80 Releases New Edition of World Public Opinion.org

11/10/2011
See new release of World Public Opinion November 10, 2011 by Alumnus Steven Kull, Ph.D.'80.

Continue Reading

Mind-Body Medicine

Meet Our Community: Beth Haggett, PhD candidate in Mind-Body Medicine

11/09/2011

Beth HaggettOver 30 years ago as a 19 year old girl I told my husband that someday I wanted to get a PhD in Psychoneuroimmunology. When I heard Saybrook was starting a program in Mind-Body Medicine I was the first to apply. I am a Doctoral student in the Mind-Body Medicine PhD-Health Systems Track. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of Utah specializing in work with individuals, adolescents, and couples, using a variety of methodologies.

My tagline is “FEEL GREAT-LOVE LIFE” which is what I strive for in my own life and what I help my clients to accomplish.

I received my Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work from Walla Walla College in 1996. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.  I have a private practice from which I have done Coaching, Counseling and Consulting, to corporations since 1999.  I have the advanced postgraduate “Master Personal and Executive Coach” certification through the College of Executive Coaching.  I have advanced training in EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, Addictions, Crisis Intervention, Family Systems, Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, and Personal and Executive Coaching and Mind-Body Medicine. 

I have worked as a consultant, trainer, facilitator and coach for corporations such as:  Hitachi, Oracle, VeriSign, Agile, Amdahl, RIM, and many others.  I develop curriculum and provide assessments and training for groups of Coaches and high level Executives. I have worked successfully with multi-national corporations, helping to create optimal corporate cultures and facilitate relationships between global teams. 

I have recently relocated to Midway, Utah where I enjoy hiking, riding my beautiful Azteca horse and spending time with my adult children and many friends. 

I use my Mind-Body Medicine training both with my therapy clients as well as in my corporate training. I also have many varied and interesting experiences outside of work in which I am able to utilize my training and education in Mind-Body Medicine. I find that I have a whole box full of skills and tools that I can pull out as needed. Mostly I find that I have gained a confidence and knowledge that allows me to jump in when needed and helps others sense they can trust and count on me.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Part Time Faculty Postition Open in Saybrook University's College of Mind-Body Medicine

11/08/2011
MBM Part Time Faculty Position: Teaching Coaching for Health and Wellness The College of Mind-Body Medicine is looking for a certified Health and Wellness Coach, with graduate level teaching experience to teach basic and advanced coaching for health and wellness skills. This individual must have some familiarity with online learning environments and a desire to facilitate both academic...

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Resources

11/06/2011

This section of the PHS Forum is dedicated to sharing resources that students, faculty, and the larger Saybrook Community might find helpful. Look here for links to web services, journals, resource databases, conference materials, and other valuable ways of networking with like-minded colleagues.

Continue Reading

University

The view from Occupy Oakland

11/04/2011

(The following description of Occupy Oakland, just prior to the police action of Oct. 25, is provided by Psychology PhD student Makenna Berry, a regular contributor to Saybrook's psychology blog The New Existentialists)

Occupy oaklandHistory?

More like our story. It has become the story of 100’s swelling to include 1000’s who have come together in downtown Oakland. I speaking about the families, elders, youth, workers, teachers, nurses…everyone that I could imagine that lives in Oakland and from our surrounding cities who have come to speak, witness and participate in what has been called the most significant social movement seen in years.

No. This is not just a band of disenchanted students camping out in a public park. It’s so much more and I believe that we must either participate or at minimum take note.

The challenge is describing what Occupy is, because frankly, Occupy on a national scale is the people who are there. One can’t really know the people unless you are there with us.

But I can try.

It has been a week since Occupy Oakland hit the international news. The morning the first tent city was dismantled the Occupy Oakland movement was seen by many as not being much. It was viewed cautiously as a movement with no leader, no agenda and by some on the outside, with no point.

I had been watching and listening to the community beat. I felt that there was much more here than folks were realizing. The next day at 4pm I joined 100’s of others at the steps of the Oakland Public Library. The People’s Mic was on.

Continue Reading

Professor Emeritus John Adams continues his work

11/04/2011

JJohn Adams in Indiaohn Adams, Ph.D., Emeritus Professor of Organizational Systems at Saybrook University is spending his retirement from active teaching doing service work in two places.

John is Administrative Director for the Prevention International: No Cervical Cancer (PINCC) India program. Cervical Cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in women in less resourced countries (27% of global deaths are in India), and it is a completely preventable disease.

John, and his wife Rhoda Nussbaum, M.D., have to date screened over 3000 women using easily taught procedures, trained over 15 Indian gynecologists to do this work locally, and certified two village oriented clinics to continue the work. They are currently focused on scaling up the project to form a "Center of Excellence for Cancer Prevention in Women" that will train local health care workers and establish universal cervical cancer screening in Mysore, India.

On the home front, John is part of a small network of educators teaching the Sierra Mother Lode population about building and preserving individual, family, and community resilience. Once a "critical mass" of families and individuals have decided about their own preparations, the focus will shift to generating a number of cooperative / collaborative community level projects for enhanced and secure local living in the Sierra foothills.

Continue Reading

Professor Eugene Taylor named fellow to two APA divisions

11/03/2011

Eugene TaylorEugene Taylor, Professor in the College of Psychology and Humanistic Studies at Saybrook University, has been elected a Fellow in Division 24, the Society for Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, and Division 32, the Society for Humanistic Psychology in the American Psychological Association.

Professor Taylor is already a Fellow in Division 1, The Society for General Psychology, and Division 26, The Society of the History of Psychology.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Do you know the way to San Jose? The 56th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences July 15 to 20, 2012 San Jose, CA

11/03/2011
Do you know the way to San Jose? Put July 15 to 20, 2012 on your calendar to join us at the 56th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences. San Jose State University, San Jose, CA July 15 to 20 2012 The theme for ISSS 2012 is Service Systems, Natural Systems. This meeting will be organized to foster learning conversations in dialectics between service scientists (...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

SURVEY OF ALUMNI INTEREST IN THE JUNGIAN STUDIES CERTIFICATE PROGRAM

11/03/2011
ALUMNI, are you interested in enrolling in the Jungian Studies Certificate Program, or the M.A. or Ph.D. Degree in Psychology, with a Specialization in Jungian Studies? If yes, please send an email with your name and interests, to: SaybrookAlumniAssociation@Saybrook.edu

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Announcements from HERS (Higher Education Resource Services)

11/02/2011
Dear Colleague: Applications are now open for women leaders whom your campus would like to nominate for the 2012-2013 HERS (Higher Education Resource Services) Institutes for Women in Higher Education Administration. HERS offers TWO Summer Institutes - the first at Bryn Mawr College and the second at the University of Denver. Both offer a TWO WEEK residency with a 12-day program of...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus