The Saybrook Forum

Alumni Messenger

NeuroQuantology Journal - Call For Papers/Invitation to Publish

06/30/2011
NeuroQuantology Journal - Call For Papers/Invitation to Publish Dear Saybrook Faculty and Students, Cheryl Fracasso and Stanley Krippner are currently putting together a special edition for the NeuroQuantology Journal that is focused on both "pioneers who have changed the face of science", as well as "outstanding mentors and/or faculty members who are ensuring the future of science by...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Five Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities are Available for the 2012-2013 Academic Year

06/30/2011
Five Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities are available for the 2012-2013 academic year from the Penn Humanities Forum of the University of Pennsylvania for untenured junior scholars who are no more than eight years out of their doctorate. Candidates from all humanistic disciplines are eligible, as well as those in allied areas such as Anthropology and History of Science....

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumna Robert McCarthy, PhD '03 Announces Full-time Opening for an Experienced Mental Health Clinician

06/30/2011
McCarthy Counseling Associates, PA (MCA) presently has a full-time opening for an experienced mental health clinician already licensed for independent practice. MCA is a private group practice with a staff of 5 full-time clinicians and 3 full-time administrative staff. The successful applicant will provide a range of Clinical Counseling services (individual, group, couple, family). In addition...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

ALUMNI HOMECOMING- AUGUST 26 - 27, 2011 - Westin SFO

06/30/2011
ALUMNI HOMECOMING- AUGUST 26 - 27, 2011 - Westin SFO PLEASE RSVP to SaybrookAlumniAssociation@Saybrook.edu or call 415-394-5968 FRIDAY, AUGUST 26 3:00 - 5:00 PM - The Traditionally Popular ALUMNI PUBLICATIONS will be on display. Almost 200 books published by our alumni and some by our students. An impressive and inspiring showing.- END OF WESTIN BALLROOM (DINING HALL) FOYER 5:30 - 6:30 - PM...

Continue Reading

LIOS

Leadership: Following what Arises

06/29/2011

By Diane Moore

A definition of leadership is emerging in my thinking based on several recent encounters with leaders who might not think of themselves as such.

I began graduate school at LIOS in part because I was inspired by a few graduates who awoke in me a sense of “I want that!” They had some way of being I could not articulate.  They were powerful and vulnerable at the same time.  They spoke about things that I did not know people could speak about in a workplace, like trust and care.  It is only after several years that I now realize what I recognized in them.  The “that” which I wanted was leadership.  They spoke about what mattered to them.  And that mattered.

As I watch my thoughts on leadership develop, I encounter my old definition of leadership.  My story was something involving a charismatic person in a position of authority: presidents and CEOs, executives and inspiring political organizers.  I think we could all name several of these types of leaders.

This story is transforming into recognition that a leader is a person, any person, who is deeply in tune with what arises in them and brings it forward into the world.   Leadership is that simple.  The complexity, if there is any, is getting out of my own way; to allow that which arises in me to have voice in the world.  Even if it is not what is expected of me; even if it does not please the people around me; and maybe most importantly, even if it surprises me,  I must not abandon authenticity for consistency.

Three experiences in particular have emboldened this emerging notion. 

Continue Reading

University

Join us for the launch of: Peace Movements World Wide

06/29/2011

Peace Movements Worldwide vol3a AHIMSA, the Metta Center for Nonviolence Education, and Saybrook University are proud to present a free public forum featuring some of the leading voices in the global peace movement. 

"Taking stock of peace:  Inspiration from Peace Movements World Wide" launches the recent publication of Peace Movements Worldwide, a three volume anthology of the global peace movement.  Its chapters cover the history, culture, strategies, and successes of the worldwide peace movement, among other topics.

Co-editors Marc Pilisuk, a member of the Human Science faculty at Saybrook university and longtime peace advocate, and UC Berkeley Professor Emeritus Michael Nagler, will be joined by some of the peace anthology’s other contributors to discuss the state of the peace movement around the world.

Taking stock of peace: Inspiration from Peace Movements Worldwide
Sunday, October 30, 20112:30-5:30pm
Berkeley Society of Friends -
2151 Vine St. in Berkeley

Continue Reading

Events

Join us for the launch of: Peace Movements World Wide

06/29/2011

Peace movements worldwide vol 2 AHIMSA, the Metta Center for Nonviolence Education, and Saybrook University are proud to present a free public forum featuring some of the leading voices in the global peace movement. 

Continue Reading

Psychology and Humanistic Studies

Carl Hild given award for research, scholarship, and creativity

06/29/2011

Alaska Ugashik peak Saybrook alumnus Carl M. Hild was awarded the 2010-2011 Alaska Pacific University Faculty Merit Award for Research, Scholarship, and Creativity.

Hild, Organizational Systems '07, is Director of the Health Services Administration Program at Alaska Pacific University, and Chair of its Business Administration Department for the 2011-2012 academic year. 

He has worked closely with native healers and hospital administrators to develop the health care system in a state with a large indigenous population, where many remote villages are not accessible by road.  By combining the traditional and the modern elements of health care, he has helped develop systems of care that often surpass those available in the lower 48 states.

Continue Reading

Bob Flax Elected to Board of Directors of the Democratic World Federalists

06/29/2011

Saybrook alumnus and faculty member Bob Flax, Ph.D.. '92, was recently elected to the Board of Directors of the Democratic World Federalists, a non-profit organization based in San Francisco. The DWF is one of a number of organizations around the world that is dedicated to establishing a democratically elected world government with a constitution and bill of rights that is capable of handling the great problems of our time -- including climate change, economic crises, famines, pandemics, poverty, and war.

Bob’s interest in world government grew out of his work as a clinical psychologist treating individuals, couples, families, and groups. He expanded his focus to include larger systems and studied organization development and conflict resolution. He has worked in a wide range of settings, including businesses, non-profits, intentional communities, and over 16 years with the California State Prison system. Finally he arrived at the next logical step – the way we work together as citizens of the world.

Bob has participated in international citizen diplomacy projects and is currently designing a course in World Federalism for Saybrook University, where he has been on the faculty for over 18 years. Bob teaches courses in the Social Transformation, Psychology and Research areas and can be reached at bflax@saybrook.edu.

Continue Reading

Alumna Ann Williams says give the disabled access to research studies

06/29/2011

Saybrook Alumna Ann Williams, PhD '05, has Co-Authored an article in Science Translational Medicine calling for an end to the practice of barring people with physical disabilities from participating in some research studies.

In her article Practicing and Implementing Changes Through CWRU's Federally-Funded FIND Lab, she asks researchers "to rethink participation criteria that exclude people with sight, hearing or mobility problems, or other disabilities."

Wiliams is an Associate Professor and Research Associate in the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing at Cayse Western Reserve University. 

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus