The Saybrook Forum

University

The solution to bullying might be the bully

10/19/2010

By now you’ve heard about the vicious bullying of children. 

Tyler Clementi of Rutgers made his plea for help via online forums and a video blog. Asher Brown, 13 Seth Walsh 13, Phoebe Prince and Justin Aaberg all committed suicide after enduring years of bullying by their classmates. 

The suffering these children had to endure was outrageous – but part of the reason we’re so outraged is also that we don’t know how to make it stop.  And we’ve tried everything.

Well, almost everything. 

Our responses to bullying have given victims a full range of compassion, empathy, study, insight, and action – and it hasn’t worked.  Our responses to the bullies themselves, however, has been simple:  condemn and punish. 

This is understandable.  Who doesn’t want to make these kids pay for what they’ve done?  But if it’s counter-productive … if bullies also need approaches marked by insight, study, and empathy … then maybe swallowing our disgust for the sake of tomorrow’s victims is the right thing to do.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook University: Article on College of Mind-Body Medicine Runs in SF Chronicle Oct 18

10/18/2010
Article about Saybrook University's College of Mind-Body Medicine ran in the San Francisco Chronicle October 18, 2010 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/18/BASF1FPNO6.DTL

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Kate Siner Francis, PhD '08 Launches New Women's Transformational Leadership Program

10/18/2010
Kate Siner Francis, PhD '08, is launching a new women's transformational leadership program called Women Leading Change. It is designed to provide women with the skills and experiences they need in order to help other women, both locally and globally, creating female leaders as well as women who can create other female leaders. Contact: Dr. Kate Siner Francis kate@largervisions.com

Continue Reading

University

Every mine is a mining disaster

10/18/2010

Two months and 33 rescued miners later, the mine disaster in San Jose, Chile has come to a close. In what is believed to be the most extensive rescue effort in history, thirty-three miners were individually brought to the surface by a fifty-centimeter Phoenix capsule, from nearly two thousand feet below the dessert floor.

The collapse and rescue in Chile received national media coverage. Not every mine disaster does – even if they’re bigger.  In 2009 alone, China reported 6,995 known mining fatalities; while in the United States the mine collapse at the Upper Big Branch Mine on April 5 was the deadliest in over twenty six years.

Accidents in China, Chile, and West Virginia; What will it take to make us reconsider our dependence on a fuel that is not only unsustainable but deadly to the workers told to cut it out of the earth?

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Daniel Foor, PhD '09 Shares Announcement of First Annual Earth Medicine Alliance Conference in SF Nov 6-7, 2010

10/15/2010
Greetings all. Daniel Foor here (Saybrook Alumnus) writing to share of an upcoming conference in San Francisco with the Earth Medicine Alliance (www.earthmedicine.org). The Alliance is a tax exempt, interfaith, earth-honoring 501(c)3 non-profit committed to remembering human beings as one expression of the natural world and to nourishing alliances with our other-than-human relatives. Mending...

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumna Joan Reese, PhD '10 Presented Her Doctoral Research in Rome, Italy, June/July 2010

10/14/2010
Joan Reese, PhD '10 presented A Model of Intuitive-Creative Decision Making in a Person-Centered Climate at the World Association for Person-Centered and Experiential Psychotherapy and Counseling 9th International Conference in Rome, Italy, June 30-July 4, 2010.

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumnus and Faculty Member Kirk Schneider, PhD '84 Initiates New Blog on the Psychology Today Website

10/01/2010
Dear Saybrook Community, I thought you may be interested in a new blog I created on the Psych Today website that’s been garnering some attention. It’s on “The Case for Existential Psychotherapy” and can be reached via the following link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/awakening-awe/201009/the-case-existential-psychotherapy Warm regards, Kirk Kirk J....

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumnus Brian Kolodiejchuk, PhD '01 Edits New Book by Mother Teresa

09/14/2010
Alumnus Brian Kolodiejchuk, M.C., PhD '01 Edits New Book Where There Is Love, There Is God: A Path to Closer Union with God and Greater Love for Others by Mother Teresa Available at Amazon.com

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Alumna Summer Watson, PhD '05 Seeks Post-Doc Internship

09/14/2010
Dear Friends- I am (Alumna Summer Watson,PhD '05) currently looking for a postdoc internship, fellowship, or a job that will provide supervision hours. I currently living in San Diego, but am willing to relocate within California for supervision. See attached my CV for your review. Please feel free to send it out to your colleagues or those that might be aware of an internship opportunity....

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Saybrook Alumna Sandy Olliges, MA '08 presents paper Thought Forms in Dreams and Shamanic Visions September 30

09/14/2010
Saybrook Alumna Sandy Olliges, MA '08 presents paper Thought Forms in Dreams and Shamanic Visions Thursday September 30 online at www.asdreams.org/psi2010 International Association for the Study of Dreams PsiberDreaming Conference 2010 ONLINE September 26 - October 10

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus