Archives For: June 2011

Leadership: Following what Arises

06/29/2011

By Diane Moore

A definition of leadership is emerging in my thinking based on several recent encounters with leaders who might not think of themselves as such.

I began graduate school at LIOS in part because I was inspired by a few graduates who awoke in me a sense of “I want that!” They had some way of being I could not articulate.  They were powerful and vulnerable at the same time.  They spoke about things that I did not know people could speak about in a workplace, like trust and care.  It is only after several years that I now realize what I recognized in them.  The “that” which I wanted was leadership.  They spoke about what mattered to them.  And that mattered.

As I watch my thoughts on leadership develop, I encounter my old definition of leadership.  My story was something involving a charismatic person in a position of authority: presidents and CEOs, executives and inspiring political organizers.  I think we could all name several of these types of leaders.

This story is transforming into recognition that a leader is a person, any person, who is deeply in tune with what arises in them and brings it forward into the world.   Leadership is that simple.  The complexity, if there is any, is getting out of my own way; to allow that which arises in me to have voice in the world.  Even if it is not what is expected of me; even if it does not please the people around me; and maybe most importantly, even if it surprises me,  I must not abandon authenticity for consistency.

Three experiences in particular have emboldened this emerging notion. 

Continue Reading

Bin Laden’s Death: Celebration or Wake-up Call?

06/02/2011

by David Franklin

This just in: Bin Laden has finally been killed.Bigstockphoto_A_Drop_In_The_Ocean___50189

I start to see the reaction amongst many people in the West: celebration, rejoicing, time to party, “it’s about time he got what was coming to him.”

Somehow, I get the feeling he (and many other people he was aligned with) were thinking the same things about us after 9/11.

And we hated them for it.

Which begs the question, “why is it then acceptable for us to feel and react that way?”

Are we better than they are? Are we right and they are wrong? Why do we get to claim the “moral high ground?”

Continue Reading