Archives For: August 2013

Saybrook Faculty, Students Present More than 20 Workshops, Papers, Posters, at APA Convention

08/05/2013

The 121st American Psychological Association (APA) Annual Convention was held July 31st to Aug. 4, at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu. Saybrook University was well represented at the convention, which included more than 800 sessions covering the entire field of psychology. Some of the highlights from the Saybrook presenters included:

Continue Reading

Saybrook Alum Publishes Expose on DMS-5 Revisions

08/02/2013
Gary Greenberb

Members of Saybrook University’s faculty and staff have not hidden their dissatisfaction with the changes to the fifth edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5), which was published in May. Saybrook’s President, Mark Schulman, challenged the association’s updates in a piece in the Huffington Post, reading in part:

“This is madness. Millions of people who are perfectly healthy, who are not sick but are looking for help, will be forcibly turned into customers for the pharmaceutical industry. Most patients come to therapy not because they have neural chemical imbalances, but because they are grappling with fundamental questions: how do I live a meaningful life in a challenging world? How do I live with integrity? How do I repair my relationships? How do I live in harmony with my environment? Am I alone? What does my life mean?”

Continue Reading