Archives For: November 2011

Saybrook becomes first university to sign petition against planned changes for the DSM-5

11/18/2011

Saybrook faculty and administration have voted to endorse the Society for Humanistic Psychology's Open Letter to the DSM-5 committee.

Saybrook is the first university to sign the petition in support of this letter.

Continue Reading

The view from Occupy Oakland

11/04/2011

(The following description of Occupy Oakland, just prior to the police action of Oct. 25, is provided by Psychology PhD student Makenna Berry, a regular contributor to Saybrook's psychology blog The New Existentialists)

Occupy oaklandHistory?

More like our story. It has become the story of 100’s swelling to include 1000’s who have come together in downtown Oakland. I speaking about the families, elders, youth, workers, teachers, nurses…everyone that I could imagine that lives in Oakland and from our surrounding cities who have come to speak, witness and participate in what has been called the most significant social movement seen in years.

No. This is not just a band of disenchanted students camping out in a public park. It’s so much more and I believe that we must either participate or at minimum take note.

The challenge is describing what Occupy is, because frankly, Occupy on a national scale is the people who are there. One can’t really know the people unless you are there with us.

But I can try.

It has been a week since Occupy Oakland hit the international news. The morning the first tent city was dismantled the Occupy Oakland movement was seen by many as not being much. It was viewed cautiously as a movement with no leader, no agenda and by some on the outside, with no point.

I had been watching and listening to the community beat. I felt that there was much more here than folks were realizing. The next day at 4pm I joined 100’s of others at the steps of the Oakland Public Library. The People’s Mic was on.

Continue Reading

APA article on Existential-Humanistic psychology prominently features Saybrook faculty, alumni, and students

11/02/2011

"Searching for Meaning" is the first article in the flagship publication of the American Psychological Association to specifically examine Existential-Humanistic Psychology -- and it features interviews with Saybrook faculty Kirk Schneider and Orah Krug, along with the published work of PhD student Elliot Benjamin.

Continue Reading