MA in Counseling

Printer Friendly Version

What kind of therapist or counselor do you want to be? 

A career-focused, online clinical psychology program with practicum training, Saybrook’s MA in Counseling focuses on career opportunities while remaining true to the humanistic principles of psychology that make Saybrook University a recognized global leader. Whatever you do with your degree, Saybrook teaches you how to help your clients develop as individuals and discover their life path. 

Do you want to work closely with individuals? With couples? With families? With communities and social systems? Do you want professional licensing to work in independent practice or nonprofit agency? Do you want to specialize with a particular population, age, or group? 

This counseling master's degree will prepare you for multiple licenses, while empowering you to craft your professional development and practice orientation.

When you graduate from Saybrook’s three-year M.A. Counseling program, you will have pre-degree coursework and practicum experience to apply for licensure as:

  • MFT (Marriage and Family Therapist)
  • LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor)
  • LPCC (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor)
  • LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor)

As different states have different licensing requirements, we work with you from the very beginning of your degree to help you qualify for the license that works for you in the state where you want to practice.

Saybrook University's M.A. in Counseling​ degree provides a low-residency, blended and mixed model of distance learning, where you join a cohort of fellow students studying together on-line and meeting together with faculty at the beginning of each semester for residential conferences.You can complete your degree without relocating and without leaving your current career.

To find out if our M.A. in Counseling​ program is for you, request more information or call 888.308.0032.

* The MA in Counseling​ program complies with the requirements of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (sections 4980.37 and 4980.41 for Marriage & Family Therapy and sections 4999.32 and 4999.40(a) for Professional Clinical Counseling). 

Mental Health Services Act (MHSA 2005) provides stipend application for the initial graduate internship year for those graduates in California who work in community agencies with traditionally under-served populations.

Degree requirements can also be seen in the Catalog or on the Degree Requirements page.