The Saybrook Forum

Mind-Body Medicine

The Saybrook Institutional Review Board and your Research

07/12/2012
Dr. M. Willson Williams

The SIRB and your Research

One aspect of being an ethical professional is that all research should be proposed and approved by an institutional review board, which assures the well-being of any human participants involved in the research. For Saybrook students and faculty, the Saybrook Institutional Review Board (or SIRB) must approve any research project before it is implemented.

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Envisioning IT Professionals as Knowledge Network Architects

07/12/2012
Envisioning IT Professionals as Knowledge Network Architects
An organization has the potential to be vibrant knowledge commons. As in the age-old village where people developed a collective identity, fostered meaningful relationships, participated in engaging community dialogues, and helped each other solve problems, an organization can be a web of conversations and supportive networks. Rooted in the mutual commitment to the success of the whole, it can be a diverse community that applies its collective intelligence to achieving its mission, serving its customers and obtaining competitive advantage in a socially responsible and sustainable manner. As...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 3 of 3)

07/12/2012
Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 3 of 3)
In August 2011, Amedeo Giorgi was interviewed at Saybrook’s graduate conference on themes related to his life’s work in phenomenological psychology. The panel was comprised of four former doctoral students of Giorgi’s at Saybrook: Drs. Lisa K. Mastain, Adrienne Murphy, and Sophia Reinders, and was moderated by Marc Applebaum. This transcript was edited by Amedeo Giorgi and Marc Applebaum. Reinders: Would you speak a little bit about the realm of areas in which phenomenology can be relevant beyond formal research? Giorgi: Well, I can say “anything experiential.” If you can experience it and...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

A bird’s eye view of the world

07/11/2012
A bird’s eye view of the world
Last week I had the opportunity to fly, for the first time in my life -- and maybe the only one -- in a hot air balloon with my daughter, Kahlia. I got the tickets last year at her school’s auction. The combination of planning a special outing while helping our beloved charter school made sense. We have tried to schedule this trip on several occasions since last summer, but each time we tried the weather was not right. Finally, last week was our chance. We had to be at the Sonoma County Airport at 5:30 a.m. – before the sun rose. In other words, too early for this mother daughter...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 2 of 3)

07/11/2012
Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 2 of 3)
In August 2011, Amedeo Giorgi was interviewed at Saybrook’s graduate conference on themes related to his life’s work in phenomenological psychology. The panel was comprised of four former doctoral students of Giorgi’s at Saybrook: Drs. Lisa K. Mastain, Adrienne Murphy, and Sophia Reinders, and was moderated by Marc Applebaum. This transcript was edited by Amedeo Giorgi and Marc Applebaum. Reinders: How would you describe the essence of the method that you created? Giorgi: Well, the essence of the method is looking for essences [laughter]. It is a search for essences…because I come from that...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 1 of 3)

07/10/2012
Amedeo Giorgi Interviewed by Former Students (Part 1 of 3)
In August 2011, Amedeo Giorgi was interviewed at Saybrook’s graduate conference on themes related to his life’s work in phenomenological psychology. The panel was comprised of four former doctoral students of Giorgi’s at Saybrook: Drs. Lisa K. Mastain, Adrienne Murphy, and Sophia Reinders, and was moderated by Marc Applebaum. This transcript was edited by Amedeo Giorgi and Marc Applebaum. This is part one of three parts. Murphy: What would you say has been your greatest professional achievement? Giorgi: I guess I have to say it is the method I developed, and I had to develop a method because...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Leveraging Relationships to End Poverty: The Power of Circles®

07/09/2012
Leveraging Relationships to End Poverty: The Power of Circles®
I was recently introduced to an innovative approach to address the personal and systemic challenges of poverty. Imagined and initiated by Scott Miller, CEO of Move the Mountain Leadership Center, Circles® is a process taking place in communities throughout the US. Scott’s mission, as I interpret it, is to inspire, educate, and connect people and resources to support personal and systemic change to end poverty. Quite an aspirational goal, however, having attended a Circles® meeting, I can see the potential of this innovative approach to do just that. As noted on the website, the...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Inner Peace

07/09/2012
Inner Peace
Clients often come to therapy looking for relief from symptoms, armed with talking points from pharmaceutical advertisements (depression is a serious medical condition, I’m taking anti-depressants but I still feel sad, depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and I need to correct it). Sometimes, however, they arrive with a different set of language. Sometimes, they complain of being always in turmoil, stuck feeling ashamed, worrying too much, and their goal is to feel a sense of peace within their self. This quest for a sense of peace can be seen as akin to the desire to...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Paying Attention Develops the Brain’s Plasticity

07/06/2012
Paying Attention Develops the Brain’s Plasticity
Everything I read points to the need for attention for our brains to develop new neurons and synapses, and I've been wondering about awareness and attention. Mindfulness practice is an awareness and attention practice, where we build our capacity to pay attention by stopping our activity and focusing on our direct and immediate experience. We focus on our breath and sensations in the body as a starting point. We practice listening, noting what feels good or bad or neutral. Then we expand our focus to include our thoughts, emotions, and reactions. Over time we learn to increase our...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

None of Your Busy-ness!

07/06/2012
None of Your Busy-ness!
Tim Kreider’s (2012) recent article in The New York Times’s Opinionator section entitled “The Busy Trap” really struck a chord with me. Not so much because I am juggling a lot of different projects at the moment, but rather because I heard the voices of so many people with whom I come into contact these days. I have come to truly despise the excuse “I’m too busy.” As an existentialist, I do not want to label or generalize, but the imperfect human part of me cheered when I saw someone writing about this collective issue. Kreider started his piece by explaining how “Busy” or “I’m busy” has...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus