The Saybrook Forum

Rethinking Complexity

Humanizing Machiavelli and His Concept of a Good Leader

06/29/2012
Humanizing Machiavelli and His Concept of a Good Leader
I'm going to make a bold, sacrilegious assertion in a sea of humanistic theorists: I believe Niccolò Machiavelli had it right when he defined leadership 499 years ago. ...Well, he did, in a bare bones sort of way. At the very least, he set a foundation for the plethora of leadership theories that exist today. Work with me here, all right. I intend to deconstruct Niccolò's basic theory before bringing him into the 21st century. When Machiavelli retreated to his Florentine study in 1513 and feverishly jotted down his abstract reflections on how the world ought to be in his...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Truth and Beauty

06/28/2012
Truth and Beauty
An object seen from a distance reveals only its principle. --Frank Herbert Beauty is truth and truth beauty. --John Keats I've been asking people to try to embody beauty. That is, when you experience something as beautiful how do you feel? What is that like? This is part of my accelerating quest to encounter the world as a human. Too often I feel alienated. Like I am in the world differently. Like I cannot relate entirely to your experience, nor can you to mine. But, Like Commander Data on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” I seek to become more than my programming, to be in the world in a way...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Creating a Remote Office: A Web of Workplace Conversations

06/28/2012
Creating a Remote Office: A Web of Workplace Conversations
I spent this past week in Washington state’s Hood Canal region, a rural area dominated by exquisite vistas of the Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. I travelled there from California to get out of the hectic, stressful, 24/7 work atmosphere of my university campus office. While I had to check email, chat with colleagues and students when needed, and keep my work projects progressing, the change of locale allowed me to shift my work style and pace, and intersperse my job tasks with hikes, artwork, and daydreaming.  "Unwinding" in this manner actually enabled me to work...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Healing Places: Learning and Leading for the Re-enchantment of our World

06/27/2012
Healing Places: Learning and Leading for the Re-enchantment of our World
There are events in your life that mark you—moments when you realize that you have learned a lesson and are ready for a new challenge. I have been working as change agent linking education, business, and sustainability together for the last 15 years. I have dedicated much of my work to creating learning communities, facilitating dialogue and collaboration, and developing leadership capacities to respond to the socio-ecological challenges and opportunities of our aching world. At the core of my work is a very human quest to find meaning in life—to align work, learning, and joy of...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

God Is a Rorschach

06/27/2012
God Is a Rorschach
God is a Rorschach, amused hermetic pouring out soured milk of the white flower into the needing world, clouds spreading white ink blots on a thin, blue parchment sky. One could lie on their back for hours, just like children, and tell stories about their dreams. If young enough, they believe their dreams, yet - believe even more in the shapeshift. Some see symmetry, a thunderhead with shoulders, two armies on either side bowing and charging along with manifest destiny winds into a Manichean cyclone of opposition and holy war. Others see love floating lopsided, grinding, or raining back down...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Exercising the Freedom to Choose—For Better or Worse

06/26/2012
Exercising the Freedom to Choose—For Better or Worse
If you live in New York City, pay attention to New York City news, or even watch, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart you may have heard about Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s plan to make the selling of large size (more than 16 ounce) sugary beverages illegal, and subject to a $200 fine. As Jon Stewart has pointed out on the air, this would be twice as much as the fine for possession of one ounce of marijuana, which would only fill half of a big gulp drink cup. This past Sunday, The New York Times ran an article quizzing readers about their knowledge of exactly how many cans of sugary soda fit into...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Honoring a Mentor

06/25/2012
Honoring a Mentor
The end of this month marks the retirement of a man who has been a significant and influential guide in my life. For almost seven years, we worked together as a ministry team in a moderately sized congregation located in Minnesota’s Twin Cities. As I have reflected over the 35 years I have worked, my time with Randy was a time of growth in understanding, insight, and perspective. Randy is closing this chapter of his life of full-time ministry as a pastor, and I want to honor his transition by sharing his influence in my life. Randy is an individual with a clear sense of identity,...

Continue Reading

Events

Mind-Body Medicine July Conference Calls for Prospective Students

06/22/2012

Join Saybrook faculty to discuss Mind-Body Medicine (MBM) program opportunities. Developed in conjunction with Dr.

Continue Reading

Events

Clinical Psychology Conference Call for Prospective Students

06/22/2012

On Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 at 12:00 pm PDT, join Dr. Zonya Johnson, Chair of Psychology, to discuss Saybrook's unique clinical psychology program.  Saybrook psychology MA and PhD programs focus on humanistic, existential, transpersonal, and phenomenological psychology.

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

What's Your Why?

06/22/2012
What's Your Why?
Nietzsche probably said it best when he declared that "he who has a why to live can bear almost any how". It helps to explain how Viktor Frankl could lose everything, including his family and life's work in a concentration camp to emerge and eventually become a highly influential psychiatrist. It helps us to understand how Nelson Mandela could spend 27 years in prison and still come out to be a leader and world changer. Both of these men had a dream, a purpose and a vision that even the most dire of circumstances couldn't erase. In fact, it could be argued that these dire circumstances...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus