The Saybrook Forum

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

July 6 - Celebrate the Shift Network's 'Nonviolence Friday' of the Summer of Peace

07/06/2012

The goal of the Summer of Peace 2012 is to activate the largest global commitment to peace in one season in the history of humankind. The Summer of Peace 2012 is produced by The Shift Network in partnership with Pathways to Peace, Culture of Peace Initiative (CPI), The Peace Alliance, PeaceDayTV, Alliance for Peacebuilding, Gaiafield Project, International Cities of Peace and Push4Peace, along with numerous co-sponsors. Together, the goal is to mobilize grassroots participation of people worldwide to accelerate humanity’s shift to a culture of peace.

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Let Freedom Ring, Just Not Too Loud

07/05/2012
Let Freedom Ring, Just Not Too Loud
As Americans, we pride ourselves on being fierce advocates for freedom, as well as national and individual independence. Historically, these have formed the foundation of our collective value system; generally speaking, they continue to function in this essential role, and our annual celebration of this fact is both necessary and inspiring. It certainly would be very difficult, if not impossible, to legitimately and convincingly argue that Americans do not value freedom. However, while our strong and core value of freedom is undeniable, it doesn’t represent the whole story regarding the...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Who’s the Boss?

07/05/2012
Who’s the Boss?
One of the most often repeated punch lines from Gallup’s famous Q12 survey of employee engagement is that employees join companies, but leave their immediate supervisor. In other words, people mostly talk about the company when asked what attracted to them to a particular job, but they mostly cite issues with their immediate manager when asked why they decided to leave a particular job. In their 1999 business best seller First Break all the Rules, Mark Buckingham and Curt Coffman explain the origin of the twelve questions that comprise the Gallup survey and then lay out findings from in...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

The Day God Died

07/03/2012
The Day God Died
God died recently. It was a long, slow, painful death. There were times I was forced to turn away because I could no longer bear the agony of witnessing the death of the One who I had held so dearly for so long. God was who I turned to for answers. God was my rescue, my salvation, my way into heaven and ticket out of hell. God was Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and always knew better than I. God saved me, literally and figuratively. I grew up in a spiritual household. My childhood is filled with memories of my grandmother sweeping her floors, humming old hymns like "One day at a time, sweet Jesus...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Organizational Narrative in a Time of Scarcity

07/02/2012
Organizational Narrative in a Time of Scarcity
For the organizations that survived the Great Recession of 2008-2009, growth seems to be the dominant theme. Is this a sign that we are past the scarcity introduced by the recession or is it just a form of coping with economic limitations? Most organizations in the US experienced revenue shrinkage ranging from 15% to 40% during the period of2008 to 2010. This shrinkage translated into stopping most investments, diminishing capabilities due to layoffs, greater amount of work and related stress for remaining employees, wage reductions and emphasis on short term strategies. There have been many...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Community for the 21st Century

07/02/2012
Community for the 21st Century
The word “community,” and the phrases “building community” or “creating community” are constantly bandied about in our 21st century Western life, but this “community” often feels very different from our forebearers’ notion. In the past, and even now, in some places, community existed within the clearly defined boundaries of physical or institutional structures. We might speak of a community as a group of people living in a particular geographic region, who might come together to work for the common benefit of the residents. Or we might speak of a religious community, in which all members are...

Continue Reading

Interdisciplinary Inquiry

New Social Media Site Launched for Activists

07/02/2012

Lokashakti, a nonprofit organization based in New York City, is dedicated to promoting peace and social justice through collective nonviolent action. Lokashakti recently announced the launch of a new social media site for activists, the Lokashakti Peace & Social Justice Network. Unlike other social media, the Lokashakti Network is noncommercial and exists mainly to facilitate real-world activism, embodying the phrase, “Think globally, act locally.”  

Continue Reading

Alumni Messenger

Sacred Sexuality: A Path to Self-Awareness

06/29/2012
Dr. Ellie Zarrabian
Saybrook Psychology Alumna Dr. Ellie Zarrabian (Ph.D. 2010) is a third generation Shamanic Healer and the Founder and Spiritual Director of Centerpeace Foundation - A Holistic Center for Psychotherapy and Spirituality. Dr. Zarrabian incorporates her Shamanic roots from the Sufi/Jewish tradition in Iran with her background in Transpersonal Psychology to help bring health and wellness to...

Continue Reading

New Existentialists

Mark Yang: Living a Taoist Model of Leadership in Existential Psychology

06/29/2012
Mark Yang: Living a Taoist Model of Leadership in Existential Psychology
Over the last five-years, I have worked closely with Mark Yang and Xuefu Wang on developing existential psychology in China. This has been the most rewarding, transforming, and important work of my career. We have been deeply blessed with success, and now I think it is fair to claim that there is nowhere in the world where existential psychology is growing at a more rapid pace than in China. We have always believed that this work was as important for the United States and Western psychology as it was for China. Our often-stated purpose is that we hope to identify indigenous Chinese...

Continue Reading

Rethinking Complexity

Humanizing Machiavelli and His Concept of a Good Leader

06/29/2012
Humanizing Machiavelli and His Concept of a Good Leader
I'm going to make a bold, sacrilegious assertion in a sea of humanistic theorists: I believe Niccolò Machiavelli had it right when he defined leadership 499 years ago. ...Well, he did, in a bare bones sort of way. At the very least, he set a foundation for the plethora of leadership theories that exist today. Work with me here, all right. I intend to deconstruct Niccolò's basic theory before bringing him into the 21st century. When Machiavelli retreated to his Florentine study in 1513 and feverishly jotted down his abstract reflections on how the world ought to be in his...

Continue Reading

Share this

Don't miss a thing - follow Saybrook on social media

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus