Directory of Open Access Journals makes quality scholarship increasingly available online
The Directory of Open Access Journals increases the visibility and ease of use of open access scientific and scholarly journals thereby promoting their increased usage and impact. This is a valuable resource for the Saybrook community, in addition to our own Library's extensive resources.
The Directory aims to be comprehensive and cover all open access scientific and scholarly journals that use a quality control system to guarantee the content. In short a one stop shop for users to Open Access Journals.
The proliferation of freely accessible online journals, the development of subject specific pre- and e-print archives and collections of learning objects provides a very valuable supplement of scientific knowledge to the existing types of published scientific information (books, journals, databases etc.). However these valuable collections are difficult to overview and integrate in the library and information services provided by libraries for their user constituency.
- Subject: all scientific and scholarly subjects are covered
- Types of resource: scientific and scholarly periodicals that publish research or review papers in full text.
- Acceptable sources: academic, government, commercial, non-profit private sources are all acceptable.
- Level: the target group for included journals should be primarily researchers.
- Content: a substantive part of the journal should consist of research papers. All content should be available in full text.
- All languages
- All content freely available.
- Registration: Free user registration online is acceptable.
- Open Access without delay (e.g. no embargo period).
Quality: For a journal to be included it should exercise quality control on submitted papers through an editor, editorial board and/or a peer-review system.
Periodical: The journal should have an ISSN (International Standard Serial Number, for information see http://www.issn.org).
Users can search for titles, or browse in the following subject categories:
Agriculture and Food Sciences
Arts and Architecture
Biology and Life Sciences
Business and Economics
Earth and Environmental Sciences
History and Archaeology
Languages and Literatures
Law and Political Science
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religion
Physics and Astronomy