We Welcome International Students
International Students are welcome to apply to Saybrook degree and non-degree programs.
Requirements for International Applicants:
In addition to meeting all general and program-specific admission requirements, all international applicants are also subject to the following requirements:
English Language Requirements
- Official scores from either the TOEFL or IELTS exam are required of all international applicants who indicate on their application that English is not their primary language
- Minimum scores required are:
- 79 iBT TOEFL/550 PBT TOEFL
- 6.5 IELTS
The English Language Exam requirement may be waived:
- If the applicant has completed a prior degree or at least 60 transfer credits from a college/university in the United States or from a college/university where coursework is taught entirely in English (example: American University of Cairo)
- If the applicant has successfully completed the required level at an ESL institute with which Saybrook has a Memorandum of Understanding
The English Language Exam requirement may be made a contingency of acceptance:
- If the applicant is currently completing a degree in the United States or is currently completing a degree at an international institution where coursework is taught entirely in English. The contingency will be fulfilled upon receipt of a final transcript from the aforementioned institution showing degree earned and date conferred or upon receipt of a passing TOEFL/IELTS score.
- If the applicant is planning to enroll or is currently enrolled at an ESL institute with which Saybrook has a Memorandum of Understanding. The contingency will be fulfilled upon receipt of a final transcript or letter from the aforementioned institution showing the required level was successfully completed or upon receipt of a passing TOEFL/IELTS score. Saybrook’s TOEFL number is 9007.
Students must submit official academic records from all schools they have attended. In addition to official academic records, students must also submit official “Course-by-course” transcript evaluation(s) of all international coursework.
Saybrook University requires evaluations from a NACES approved evaluation agency and recommends:
- Educational Credential Evaluators
- Educational Perspectives
- International Education Research Foundation
Please also note that Saybrook University does not pay the cost of a credential evaluation. This fee must be paid by the student.
Typically, International students are not eligible for United States educational loan consideration.
International applicants may be eligible for Saybrook’s International Student Scholarship. Visit our Scholarships page for more information.
Students who do not require sponsorship for an F-1 student visa and are eligible for study in the United States are welcome to apply to all programs offered by Saybrook.
Please note that U.S. immigration regulations stipulate that individuals in the United States on a “B” non-immigrant (both B-1 visitors for business and B-2 visitors for pleasure) are prohibited from enrolling in a degree program.
Residential Conference Requirements
It is important to note that some of Saybrook’s programs require multiple Residential Conferences, which require short periods of attendance within the United States that are required for successful program completion. Saybrook University is not eligible to sponsor F-1 (Student) visas for any programs, and according to immigration regulations, tourist visas cannot be used to enter the United States for a residency that is required for graduation from a degree-program. We encourage students who are in other non-immigrant statuses to review their eligibility for travel and study in the U.S. to determine their ability to fulfill the required Residential Conference attendance.